Apple muncher's number crunching

Comments

• apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,662
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite

Grrrrrrrrrr. And double grrrrrrrrr.

Have just asked dh about some money moving he's done, as it was £1600. Turns out he's paid off sd's overdraft to stop her getting charged whilst she's outin NZ. Says he told me he was going to do this. Oh no he didn't! Last time we talked about it, she was going to send money to pay it off over the year. After my idea of getting a CC on 0% transfer to pay for it was not taken up. Do I feel cross? Not really. More let down as dh knows how important it is for me to reduce the mortgage and feel in control. Feel very let down. It seems she'l, send us 500 NZD soon and the rest in the summer. So we are paying interest on it.

At the moment I'm thinking 'why am I bothering?' but I guess that I'll get over it and feel like it IS worth the effort soon. I'd done my darndest to get it below 77k and all that effort has been wiped out.

Off to do something nicer and get out my present list to see what I still have to do (quite a lot!) and try to schedule getting it done in the next 4 weeks...!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • So, I've paid £43 off the mortgage, the equivalent of my 'unnecessary purchases' in November.:T And I shall endeavour to split any surplus money between the savings and the mortgage. Next milestone will be getting below £78,000. £488 to go!

Sd is very grateful and ensures us she will repay us. Am feeling more sanguine about the whole thing today.

Dh is still applying for jobs and has had a couple of interviews, which is rather morale boosting. A successful one would be even nicer...!

My possible extra days at work do seem to be going ahead. Must remember to ask boss to put it in writing. Once have that confirmed then I'll feel freer to find out at which point in the SoW I'll be taking over so I can at least paln a little. This is making me get super focussed on my current workload so that I can easily walk in each day and do that because it is all planned. So if it all falls through, then I'm still ahead of myself.

Tomorrow is November's last food spendy day, so am looking forward to it! May also try to take another bag to charity shop and meet up with a friend for coffee (in her house of course!)

As well as the usual household jobs, I must knit a 2nd glove tomorrow, maybe start on some finger puppets and defimitely get a wiggle on with doing the top half of Angelina.

And make cakes. Or biscuits. And breadsticks. Or all of them!
  • apple_muncher
    Forumite
    I've looked back over my 'jobs to do by saturday' and was pleased to discover that I have done most of them! The only one left is to meal plan for the coming week or so and sew up the gloves. (so long as I conveniently ignore my comment about finger puppets and Angelina...)

I had a lovely couple of hours today, watching Neil Oliver's history of Ancient Britain and knitting. Was surprised my wrists coped with the knitting action, so I guess the inflamed area doesn't get involved in crafts!

Today is day5 of eating better: no grains or sugar. I don't always manage it, but am not letting one slip lead to more slips. I plan to have some dark choc every evening, so I know I have that to look forward to.

Today was also ZCUT 2 workout :j which was a toughie but a good'un. I found out on Tues that I can still do press ups and burpees with my dodgy wrists, which was a mental breakthrough! So I'm off on my
    Zuzana/ZCUT schedule and coupling it with proper nutrition!

Must set up my bank accounts so that I can pay money directly to the mortgage instead of going via the joint account. Once done it will make payments sooo much easier.

Didn't make it to the charity shop today as was worn out, so that's on the cards for tomorrow now, when I'm fresher. I sometimes wonder how I'll manage to fit everything in when I'm working 4 days?! But I'm sure I'll get used to it.

MFW-wise I need to check my purse for coppers and the receipts too. Will do that this evening.
  • apple_muncher
    Forumite
    Well I got along to thr charity shop with a binbag of bits. The Salvation Army give you a stamp if you spend £5 and 10 stamps is worth £5 off a shop, and also £2 credit for every bag you donate. Obviously it takes a while to fill the card, but today I used £7 worth of it and still have £4 left. Yippee! I think it's super generous of a charity to offer this service and I fully intend to use it!

I took dh along and we also trawled round the charity shops, buying very little and in the end we avoided Sbucks and came home. Not bad! Tho I prob would have said 'no' to sbucks as avoiding coffee shops is one of the NOvember stipulations.

Tried to set up a payment from my bank account to the mortgage and the blooming card reader has died. New batteries didn't work so I've had to order a new one. Could well be a week before I can set up to make payments. Now that I can't do it, I really, really want to!

Picked up some Christmas shaped cutters the other day and made some holly and tree shortbread, decorated with coloured icing. Dd loves them! And my success with them means they'll go in a couple of 'bundles' of presents. Can't call them hampers as the goodies usually end up in a cardboard box with a label! And maybe a stick on star....

Another busy day for dd tomorrow. Tap and ballet, followed by school Christmas Fair, followed by a trip into town and the land of pound amongst others. All to be done and dusted and home by 4 so that dh can have the car and go and do PA.

Am looking forward to DDD. Have nabbed number 3! Kat asked us to list 5 things to achieve in2014. Have done 3 so far:
    - get weight down to 125lbs
    - get mortgage down to £70 K
    - sew 14 items in 2014 (start by learning to thread pesky machine!)
    - ?
    - ?

Enough wittering. Nightie night.
  • apple_muncher
    Forumite
    DD has woken up with a snotfest, poor mite. And I'm not much better! So we shall defo revise today's plans. Tap is deemed too noisy but ballet is acceptable - dh will take her to that; sch fair is still the priority and that's my job; shopping trip to land of pound won't happen either, as she doesn't fancy it. Will enjoy her lack of desire to go to town while I can!:beer::beer:

So I'm hoping we can have a quiet afternoon. I can knit and watch the rugby (think it's tday) and dd can play. Hmmmm. Will see if reality and germs and snot allow my dream world to happen!

Need to buy balm tissues and milk.

Dd has just informed me that she does want to go to land of pound. Darn that Ca1po1! May be a more spendy day than anticipated...
  • apple_muncher
    Forumite
    No tap or ballet, but fair and then land of pound. Am shattered, moreso than dd who has far too much energy for a poorly mummy!

Must get my head around the DDD. 15 NSD should be doable; so should setting a food budget and sticking to it; spend money is trickier, as I usually take everything out of 'food', and should prob include presents, entertainment, dd's stuff; I can drop 1 Christmas outing as I only have one evening one and it's the day I now have to go on a course in London and don't reckon I'll be back in time, nor do I really have the inclination! Simples. £5 on local food bank is great - will double it; I can happily batch cook goodies, as dd and I are gf, tho dh always buys the tins of sweets- it's like he can't stop himself! I have a notebook for spends and will add in 5 things to achieve in 2014; choosing a debt free date is a challenge as currently there cannot be one with our work/lack of it. Plucking a date out of the air is my 50th, so 54 months away; no unnecessary spending - noticed I did £43 of this in Nov, so am keeping a closer eye on it; lunch from home always happens as can't buy it - only 4 needed in Dec. And finally, no sales - yippee! I dislike shopping for stuff other than food or in ch shops anyway, and this helps me simply decide to NOT even bother!

So that is my rambling for now. Dd's eating her tea; dh is out til late; dd will have an olbas oil bath to help her cold and I hope to crack on knitting finger puppets when she's in bed. Early night I hope.
  • apple_muncher
    Forumite
    Eight and a half hours intto DDD and I can safely say that I'vr not spent anything yet!

Dd has slept for 12 hours and is still snoring away. She was adamant that she would be going to Kidz Klub today... Dh got in fairly late and is feeling rather delicate so he just wants to stay in bed.

Must do the free letter to Santa today, then set up the PNP thingy. Also need to finish marking and knit knit knit! Have doen Goldilocks and three bears but only the body knitting. Now need to sew up, stuff and add details as well as do arms. Then do another 4 sets?!
  • apple_muncher
    Forumite
    Made it to church despite not feeling great. Dd enjoyed kidz klub again and has several little friends there.

Another target for 2014 might be to make money from knitting...

Haven't done Santa letter, nor PNP, nor marking! And only a little knitting - the fiddly bits that I don't really like. But have had a lovely day!

Have set budgets for December in my notebook, separating the 'other' from food for once. I therefore have a HUGE allocation for Dec, but only a scarily SMALL amount left to save. I want to increase the amount to save by £150. Somehow don't quite think I'll be able to do it via roadkill!!!Nor is it all claw-backable from not spending. Need to actually make money and sell stuff. In December??!

Need to research quidco and topcashback to see which is best and which suits me best.

December requires a haircut; not had one since May! Twould be good to look a little less haggard...

NSD1 today, and tomorrow is work so should be NSD2.
  • apple_muncher
    Forumite
    2 NSD under my belt - yippee:j:j!

Mooched around mus1c magp1e and have a box for them. Only worth a little over £16, but pennies in the pot. Will only count it when it arrives.

All pennies needed to make up for the shortfall in my aspirations!

No knitting tonight, but new shoes ordered - am soooo excited! Used £25 that I got in unexpected pay towards them.

Target #4 for 2014 is to make some pennies from my knitting.

A magazine subscription is coming to an end as the mag has folded, so should get a few pennies back from them.

Feeling positive about somehow making up £150. For now anyway!
  • apple_muncher
    Forumite
    Am having a stay-at-home day, I hope! Want to clear and tidy downstairs so that we can get the tree in, and have a good sort through dd's clutter while she's not there. Oh yes, and my own massive clutter too...

Have moved a bit of money around tHis morning, so that's now up to date. Have also started another finger puppet. Instead of doing 3 sets of Golilocks + 3 bears, I'm doing 1 plus a family of cats plus a family of ?bears? Still unsure of this one.

Would likr to finish cat family, along with necessary stuffing, tails and embroidery; also read several pages of the Latin book; make more holly biscuits; trawl through books to see if I can earn some pennies there.

May need to buy Ca1po1 and milk.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback