Eon energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    BMW51K wrote: »
    Switched in June 2019. The switch went smoothly, and I have received MSE cashback - as well as being on what is still the cheapest fixed rate tariff. Although I have a smart reader, as it was installed by another supplier, it is dumb and I have to submit readings each month - but at least the smart meter gives me them without my having to go outside. Eon suggested lowering my monthly direct debit, and that has worked out well so far.

Hello BMW51K and many thanks for joining us.

Glad the switch went smoothly including receiving the cashback from MSE.

With the smart meter, we're looking to upgrade earlier SMETS1 meters so they're managed in the same way as the later SMETS2. This will restore many of the smart features lost when you changed supplier. It includes smart meters fitted by other companies and now supplied by us. We're looking to complete the work by the end of this year.

Upgrades will be done remotely so there's no need to visit your home and we'll let you know once done.

There are some early smart meter installations (mainly those fitted from 2014 and before) where this won't be possible. In these cases, we'll offer to fit a new SMETS2 meter.

Have you used the Direct Debit Manager on our website? This tool lets you take more control of your monthly payments including being able to raise or lower them to suit different circumstances.

Hope this is of interest BMW51K.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Bettie
    Bettie Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Update for anyone in the same boat
    ..I have eventually managed to get through to the change of supplier number. It would seem there is nothing they can do as its a problem with the smart meter which "loads of other suppliers can't fix either " it's to do with people "up the chain" being able to sort it.
    Hopefully it will sort itself out one day !
    Not sure what it all means, it is a new smart meter 2
    I guess I'll just sit back and wait
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Bettie wrote: »
    I joined Eon last November . They were given readings. I can't access much of the Eon site now, maybe my IPad is too old but there's nowhere to enter readings or see any bills. I can see a gas bill on my phone and I'm being told to lower my DD . I did online chat and was told the electric has not been set up correctly and I need to phone the change of supplier team.
    After holding on for quite a while I gave up. . I'm worried about phoning 0345 numbers and the cost ! Is there any freephone number ? Or any other way to contact and get this sorted ? I feel I've wasted my afternoon
    Update for anyone in the same boat
    ..I have eventually managed to get through to the change of supplier number. It would seem there is nothing they can do as its a problem with the smart meter which "loads of other suppliers can't fix either " it's to do with people "up the chain" being able to sort it.
    Hopefully it will sort itself out one day !
    Not sure what it all means, it is a new smart meter 2
    I guess I'll just sit back and wait

Hello Bettie and I'm sorry there's a problem.

Must admit, I'm a tad confused. Your earlier post spoke of a difficulty using your online account. After this we told you there's an industry-wide issue with SMETS2 smart meters?

Not sure what you're struggling with Bettie. How did we describe the smart meter problem? If you let me have a bit more information I'll see if it rings any bells.

Thank you.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Bettie
    edited 21 January 2020 at 1:36PM
    My online account is blank except one box that I can click on which tells me what my house is using in percentages . According to that it is not using electric despite being duel fuel. That's because the electric has not been set up correctly. ( so say "a fault with being able to read smart meters 2 which is a common fault and not confined to Eon " )
    As I am unable to give readings online I thought the lady on the phone may have asked for them and she didn't, nor did I think to offer them.
    So we left it that one day it would all be sorted somehow and we would leave the direct debit as it was to cover the electric which at present seems to be 0
    A bit confusing maybe.
    Since writing this I have been online with a phone and I can see my account. I have to think therefore my iPad is too old to view things. However, there is still only a gas bill and no mention of electric plus still being recommended to lower direct debit.
    My online account is blank except one box that I can click on which tells me what my house is using in percentages . According to that it is not using electric despite being duel fuel. That's because the electric has not been set up correctly. ( so say "a fault with being able to read smart meters 2 which is a common fault and not confined to Eon " )
    As I am unable to give readings online I thought the lady on the phone may have asked for them and she didn't, nor did I think to offer them.
    So we left it that one day it would all be sorted somehow and we would leave the direct debit as it was to cover the electric which at present seems to be 0
    A bit confusing maybe.
    Since writing this I have been online with a phone and I can see my account. I have to think therefore my iPad is too old to view things. However, there is still only a gas bill and no mention of electric plus still being recommended to lower direct debit.

Hello Bettie and many thanks for the additional information.

Just a thought. Are you able to use a full Desktop Browser? There are sometimes issues with tablets.

Also, what web browser are you using? We only support Chrome (latest 71 and two previous versions), Firefox (latest 64 and two previous versions), Edge (latest 17 and the previous version), Safari (latest 12 and the previous version) and Internet Explorer (latest 11 version only).

If this fails, please speak to us again as the smart meter issue you mention shouldn't be having this sort of impact on your online account.

I'm sorry we didn't take meter readings from you when you called. The advisor should've asked for them.

Thanks Bettie.

Malc
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Firefox (latest 64 and two previous versions)
    The latest version of Firefox is 72.0.2 !
  • Bettie
    9.3.5 Safari so it's too old. That's one problem sorted. Accessing it on the phone tells me I'm due to give meter readings in March. I will wait till then and see if after giving readings I get a bill or see an online electric acknowledgement. Thanks for your help. I will return in March and let you know.
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    The latest version of Firefox is 72.0.2 !

Thanks Gerry1. I've passed this on to our website people.

Malc
    9.3.5 Safari so it's too old. That's one problem sorted. Accessing it on the phone tells me I'm due to give meter readings in March. I will wait till then and see if after giving readings I get a bill or see an online electric acknowledgement. Thanks for your help. I will return in March and let you know.

Happy to help Bettie.

Please be aware, if your browser or operating system isn't one we support, you might not be able to see or read things on our website.

Thanks Bettie.

Malc
  • jrawle
    jrawle Posts: 603 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I'm on Fix Online Exclusive V10, and I received an e-mail today saying, "As part of your current energy tariff, you agreed to have smart meters installed." Reading through the thread, as Malc has confirmed, the terms and conditions only say they can contact you about having one installed. Malc has also apologised and said they need to update their messaging, yet a few months later, misleading messages are still being sent.

I have also noticed that the terms and conditions for tariffs from this month have been changed to say, "With this tariff you agree to the installation of a smart meter, where eligible." instead of the clumsy, "With this tariff you agree to be contacted during the tariff term for the installation of a smart meter." Clearly they meant all along for it to be compulsory, but realised the poor wording makes it unenforceable.

Has anyone actually ever been forced off a tariff for refusing a smart meter? I suspect it's only ever an idle threat, at a corporate level to meet their quota of smart meter installations, and by individual sales advisors in order to receive commission.

I don't want a smart meter, and certainly not from E.ON given that their incompetence meant it took three months to get the opening reading sent to my old supplier, after many phone calls and e-mails.

If they do force me only the standard tariff, I assume no penalty will be payable to switch to another supplier, which I would not be too upset about doing.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback