Top 10 service companies to haggle with

Options

Comments

• TheMacs
    TheMacs Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Just had a 5 min call with Sky Broadband. Mentioned the EE offer (which I was reluctant to go with, after they screwed up my broadband over a year ago) and Sky offered me free ADSL2+ broadband for a year with a £15.40/mth line rental charge. Just 25p more expensive than last year.

Note that Sky now don't offer the "pay your line rental in advance" option any more...
  • sofaman
    sofaman Posts: 104 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    TheMacs wrote: »
    Just had a 5 min call with Sky Broadband. Mentioned the EE offer (which I was reluctant to go with, after they screwed up my broadband over a year ago) and Sky offered me free ADSL2+ broadband for a year with a £15.40/mth line rental charge. Just 25p more expensive than last year.

Note that Sky now don't offer the "pay your line rental in advance" option any more...

Which Sky dept. did you have any luck with? I tried this with 1st tier customer support, and got absolutely nowhere!
  • mchu6am4
    mchu6am4 Posts: 445 Forumite
    Options
    TheMacs wrote: »

My contract is also up in a months time and need to negotiate...can you please share you experience/department you contacted?
  • fozzsafc
    fozzsafc Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hi, Thought I'd just tell you about my success negotiating a deal with retentions dept at Sky. I currently have Fibre Broadband which costs me £25.40 having negotiated £10/mth discount in January. But that's not the good bit... Now a Sky rep phoned and offered my a deal with 75% discount. So I said ok and signed up with the family bundle HD for an extra £8 per month. Which I thought was a great deal! But today I decided to "have a go at 'em" I logged onto the online chat and started telling them I wanted to cancel as i don't think I'd use the tv much. I was passed through to retentions - on line. I said I wanted the HD and 3D Family bundle, Free installation and Fibre broadband all for £30 and stuck to my guns. He eventually came down to £33.40/mth but I still said no and he then "had a word with the manager" and they suggested crediting my account with a one off £20 towards my £30 monthly limit. I said no again and they eventually came back and offered £40 credit which takes my package to £30/mth for Fibre, HD 3D Family bundle free install and delivery. Saving £408/year on usual costs!!! Basically this took about 1hr online chat but if you stick to a figure they will eventually match it somehow! Good luck...
  • Westy@reviewer
    Options
    I've been on to Sky today as I was looking to go with the MSE EE deal or a special BT deal through work.

Anyways, got through to a nice old chap and after some to-ing and fro-ing we managed to get unlimited fibre for £7.50 for a year plus line rental for free. Also had the hub and installation fee waived and £10 credit on our bill cause it took him an hour to sort it (system issues - didn't really care the call cost me nowt).

Tidy darts :beer:
    I am a spokesperson for the local Ninja constituent :D
  • Westy@reviewer
    Options
    For the avoidance of doubt that is £7.50 per month for a year and not 7.50 total for 12 months...I wish!!
    I am a spokesperson for the local Ninja constituent :D
  • sparklydog
    sparklydog Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    I've been on to Sky today as I was looking to go with the MSE EE deal or a special BT deal through work.

Anyways, got through to a nice old chap and after some to-ing and fro-ing we managed to get unlimited fibre for £7.50 for a year plus line rental for free. Also had the hub and installation fee waived and £10 credit on our bill cause it took him an hour to sort it (system issues - didn't really care the call cost me nowt).

Tidy darts :beer:
    Wow! Do you have the name of the guy? :D The last bunch didn't have a clue when it comes to retaining loyal customers!
  • Twinmummuyplus4more
    Options
    Hi, I recently called sky wanting to cancel and move to virgin. We wanted the fibre bb and their prices were very competitive. Anyway, after telling sky I intended leaving sky offered me:

variety Tv package £21.50 - after 6 months still £21.50
    sky talk -free weekends (half price line rental) £7.70 - after 6 months still £7.70
    sky fibre unlimited £7.50 - after 6 months £20.00
    =£36.70 for the first 6 months and then £49.20 thereafter.

Total discounts:
    VARIETY bundle discounted by £5.50 - permanently
    Landline rental discounted by £7.70 - permanently
    Sky fibre discounted by £12.50 - 6 months
    = £25.70 per month discount/saving for 6 months and then a permanent discount of £13.20 per month

Plus free fibre set up saving £50, free hub and I was also offered 3 months of sky sports AND movies for £10 pm for both but I declined as we don't really watch tv :p lol ( plus we have Netflix anyway ;)
    So not bad really! :)

But.... They didn't apply the deal to my account, we're charging me full price fibre and downgraded my channels!! So I had to contact them to get them to give me the deal I was offered!
    I've since checked my new package and it's actually just £31.20 per month!! Even better...not sure why as this months bill is so confusing lol ....I just hope they keep to the deal after 6 months and permanently discount my package! Overall I'm getting the same deal I would have done with virgin plus I'm getting fibre too so I'm happy as I should be paying near £67 so less than half price :))
  • bullshot
    bullshot Posts: 4,028 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a Sky+Hd box( not Wifi) , wanted to see what the On Demand was about so trailed a long cable across the room to connect it to my router, did not watch a programme, just took a look at what was on offer.doing this meant I had already connected so did not qualify for a free Wifi adapter.( as I had already registered for On Demand )Tried several times to get one ( on line chat) but was told it was only for people that had never connected .saw the advert on TV yesterday and decided to have 1 more go, got passed to another Chat person who might be able to help....offered a discounted box if I upgraded to Family for £5 month.I said I would have to take a look at the BT TV package as have their Broadband and Free Sport...then came the offer I accepted .....free Wifi Adapter, Free Family upgrade and my monthly payments reduced by £1.50. I already had a discounted Entertainment package , paying £25.50 instead of £27.Had the email re my adapter on its way for free and checked my account online and it now shows £24.Pays to be polite and persevere.Missed Game of Thrones, so now get access to Box Sets, will watch what I want in this first year and then cancel Family package if I don' d need it...although everything in HD now so maybe tempted to keep it.
  • poorbabe
    poorbabe Posts: 896 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I rang Sky looking to move my line rental to the Post Office as they offer the same service at a cheaper price. They offered to reduce their line rental charge by 50% for the next 12 months, which is what I was after.

Maybe I should have tried cancelling my Sky TV to see what they would offer for that.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback