Afprb 2009

Comments

• I know there is already a thread on this, but wanted to highlight an update in a separate thread.

I have just spoken to someone within Pol Pay & Charges in London to find out when the award is going to be published. The report has been written and was submitted to Government "some weeks ago." They are now considering it alongside other reviews and an announcement is expected shortly - but no firm commitment on the date as yet.

What this means, I am not sure. I thought that the purpose of having the AFPRB was for an independent assessment which the Government rubber-stamped - so worrying that they have sat on it for some time.
    Mortgage Free Wannabe
    1st April 2015
    Outstanding Mortgage (1&2): £75023/£76400 Target MF date: Jun 2019 (49 payments)
    Target OP (2015): £1500
    Outstanding Mortgage 3: £77000
    [STRIKE] Outstanding Loan: £1161 [/STRIKE] What Loan!
  • Just written to my local MP...

Sir,

Normally around mid-February, the pay award for the armed forces for the forthcoming year is published following recommendations by the Armed Forces Pay Review Board (AFPRB). At time of writing, there has yet to be an announcement on the pay award, and we remain in the dark as to when an announcement would be made. As I sure you will appreciate, this has aroused a certain amount of suspicion amongst my colleagues as to why no information is forthcoming. Such is the level of cynisim surrounding the Government, that many feel the award is going to be poor at the Government are waiting on an opportunity to "bury bad news" to publish the announcement. I have been informed that the AFPRB submitted their report to Government "some weeks ago." As the Government normally accepts the boards findings and recommendations, I am curious as to why they would be holding back on the announcement. I would be most grateful if you could look into this matter on behalf of the armed forces.
    Many thanks.
    Mortgage Free Wannabe
    1st April 2015
    Outstanding Mortgage (1&2): £75023/£76400 Target MF date: Jun 2019 (49 payments)
  • strong96
    strong96 Posts: 127 Forumite
    they gave all the money to the banks and now are trying to find out what costs they can cut for the forces, well thats my opinion anyway, after all armed forces can't strike so we have to put up with the crap
  • Just had a reply from my MP - he is going to take the matter up with the MOD.
    Mortgage Free Wannabe
    1st April 2015
  • mitchaa
    mitchaa Posts: 4,487 Forumite
    With wages set to stagnate everywhere else would it be wise for the government to announce generous pay rises for the armed forces?
  • tartanterra
    tartanterra Posts: 819 Forumite
    mitchaa wrote: »
    With wages set to stagnate everywhere else would it be wise for the government to announce generous pay rises for the armed forces?
    It would be all too easy for the government to refuse a pay rise to the Armed Forces every time they are skint. We have no federation or union to represent us, or fight our corner.

That is why the AFPRB, as an independent body, makes reccommendations to the government on Armed Forces pay levels.:T

The government can refuse to honour the reccommendations:mad: , but it still has to publish them, under FOI rules.:rolleyes:

They should publish it now, and if they aren't going to honour it, they will have to justify the decision in Parliament. This will be extremely contensious, as no government has refused to honour it before!:rolleyes:
    Nothing is foolproof, as fools are so ingenious! :D
  • davilown
    davilown Posts: 2,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    mitchaa wrote: »
    What wages have stagnated? In the private sector yes they have but then they have enjoyed higher increases than the public sector over the last 10 years. NHS have had a 2.4% rise this year, Police and fire have have a three year package agreed.
    I think that we will see a rise of about 3.2% including a rise in X-factor but they wil try to release it at a point where something bigger will hide it from the news. No time like the present then!
    30th June 2021 completely debt free…. Downsized, reduced working hours and living the dream.
  • mitchaa
    mitchaa Posts: 4,487 Forumite
    davilown wrote: »
    What wages have stagnated? In the private sector yes they have but then they have enjoyed higher increases than the public sector over the last 10 years. NHS have had a 2.4% rise this year, Police and fire have have a three year package agreed.
    I think that we will see a rise of about 3.2% including a rise in X-factor but they wil try to release it at a point where something bigger will hide it from the news. No time like the present then!

That was last years increases as far as im aware, and im not sure if any company would have had pay rises awarded for FY 09/10 as, as you'll know inflation based pay awards are normally implemented in the new FY, i.e April.

Wages are set to stagnate for millions this year according to this article, hence my point about wage stagnation due to low inflation (RPI)..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/recession/4681597/Pay-freezes-for-workers-as-inflation-hits-lowest-level-for-50-years-experts-warn.html
  • Thumper7
    Thumper7 Posts: 272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As far as I am aware the X Factor is only reviewed every five years. The last one was 2007, the next review is 2012.
    Smile, you are beautiful:)
  • Still no news on the AFPRB?

I suggest that we start writing to the newspapers....

This is a useful link: http://www.ome.uk.com/review.cfm?body=3

Notice how much the PM appointed team get paid c£300 per day each!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure