PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Comments

• fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    My sister has booked to holiday in Italy next May. While I realise that many people won't think at all about any changing situation, I'm struggling with knowing my sister is blase about the unknown and that is because I think she's really quite ignorant and I doubt any thoughts about anything has crossed her min d at all.

I think you're wise Lyn. It feels very much like jumping into the unknown at the minute and I'm too square for such nonsense. ;)
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi guys

Mrs LW I think the UK and the EU high ups are all are as bad as each other. Give and take doesn’t seem to be in any of their vocabulary. But at the end of the day it will be the normal peeps that pay the price for the stubbornness.

Katieowl im finding that Mr T have dishwasher tablets, soap, etc but I think it’s only a matter of time until they get rid of stocks and then discontinue. I’m tending to keep an eye out for offers and then stocking up.

Not Europe related but we’ve just had on the local news that we might be getting hosepipe bans next week. In my view cars can stay mucky for a couple of weeks, also a lot of watering can be done with a watering can rather than it get to the stage where we have to get water from standpipes. We are ok cos we are fairly fit, but where we are there are a lot of oldies who will struggle. But as my OH has just pointed out there are a lot of folks that will carry on regardless just expecting everyone else to cut back.

Anyway enough of my grumpiness
    TTFN
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • I always run with containers of tap water in store 'just in case' and yesterday we used the water for the water butt in the garden and I refilled with fresh tap water to be a buffer for all sorts of uses should we get restrictions on the supply. It seems totally daft to carry on sprinkling lawns and having baths when there is a supply problem but I'll bet my last sixpence that lots of people think this current situation doesn't mean them!!! We always shower anyway and water the plots with a watering can. We harvest rainwater from every available roof so the house, the greenhouse, the barn and the summer house all have at least two barrels under the downpipes from their roofs and in fact the barn has 8! all we need is some decent rain and they'll be to the brim again but until then it's on with the watering cans!
  • We're possibly going to get some rain this evening as there is a chance that the thunderstorms forecast for the west country might reach Hampshire and even as far as Sussex, all we can do is wait and see...and hope!

The powers that be both here and in the EU seem to be like a pack of terriers scrapping over a bone! my biggest wish is that they would ALL grow up and have an adult conversation about how to make this happen in the best and most advantageous way for all parties concerned and stop behaving like two playground gangs in a territory war! 'm beginning to think we should have a Norland Nannie in the chair to ensure good behaviour. I don't suppose they have a naughty step big enough to accommodate all the transgressors!
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 1 July 2018 at 11:56AM
    Great thread, lots of tips.

Severn Trent sent a call out yesterday asking people to conserve water. I'm doing my bit....

Politicians make me sick......I am fed up with the lot of them.

Re preparing.....one thing that struck me is how vulnerable we are for energy.....gas and Leccy. Nothing to stop the Russians cutting off our gas and I understand that we buy a lot of our electricity from France. I am going to try and prep for possible power cuts.

I am buying a new house. Luckily it has an open fireplace, so one of my first jobs will be To ensure that it is in good working order, maybe get a multi fuel burner installed, but at least I could use the grate as it is.

I also have a small bioethanol fire and a crate of bottled fuel. It throws out a surprising amount of heat.

Need to buy hot water bottles just in case I couldn't use my electric blanket. :eek::rotfl:
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 1 July 2018 at 12:03PM
    Re holidays in the U.K. we live in a beautiful country and there's loads I have not seen yet. I will definitely be taking more holidays in the UK.

I'm so done with hanging around crowded airports......:rotfl:

I am resolved to support the uk economy and especially local businesses.

We, the people, can make brexit work. Our government may be half hearted about this but I think the public will get behind it and want to make it a success.
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi guys
    There’s no sign of rain for here in the North West and the amount of grass fires seems to be growing. There needs to be a no barbeque rule. You would think common sense would stop people but apparently not.
    OH has absolutely loads of sport to watch this weekend so I might just have a nap. Cheap and lovely (one of my life’s pleasures is a nap)
    There was a sign of things to come when I read yesterday that we might have to import lettuce from the US because of a bad season due to the dry conditions. Personally I would just make do with something else, it strikes me as idiotic getting something as simple as lettuce with all those air miles. We are going to have to learn to make do with the food on offer I think.
    Anyway better go for now
    Have a good day guys
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • It IS idiotic Cuddles, I shall make coleslaw from spring cabbages grown right here in our polytunnel and make grated carrot and beetroot salad the way they did in wartime, both of which have far more flavour and fill you up rather better than an imported lettuce would!

Common sense and people? I don't think so !!! xxx.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Y'see I agree with this to the core. As a novice allotmenteer I realised that lettuce was somewhat pretentious, it's dehyrating for the rabbit folk so leftovers wouldn't be any use there and it tastes like, in my opinion, of nothingness. My summer salads are wild rocket based. My plants are doing well and not molly coddled.

The thought of a lettuce, as pathetic as they are (sorry, its that pretentious thing again) being needed to be shipped to satisfy 'our' need for choice makes my blood boil. Lettuce goes limp very quickly once picked so gawd only knows what preservative filled gas will be applied to get it over the water.

Ho hum. As you were fuddle pet, you as you were.
  • Well they can keep their American lettuce because I shall be making a lovely salad of homegrown sliced courgettes today with a lemon vinaigrette dressing which is just right for this hot summer weather and hopefully I shall munch it for supper this evening whilst watching some Wimbledon coverage too.....it's a hard life but someone has to live it!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback