Single, six kids and going to be debt free!

Options

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ahhh moveable birthdays - my kids used to have them and occasionally still do (they're 17 and 14):shhh::p:D

I love going away May half term instead of the six weeks summer hols - much better value. I haven't been able to do this for the past few years though as kids have been in examination years and revising.

Read the amount of baking you'd done and then laughed at the comment about it lasting 2 days- joys of a large family. :D

Have a good day
  • Mumoffourkids
    Options
    Storm89 wrote: »
    How exciting having a holiday booked, I'm obsessed with holidays lol hope you get good weather. We have a South facing garden too so clothes dry quickly. Wow you've done well to have accumulated that many coolboxes lol we have to borrow my in laws when we go camping.

I know it is very exciting, I just have to pay for it now! I should have the money saved up by the time we go away but the balance has to be paid before that. So my savings list of things to save for has just grown! And yes I have that many coolboxes. Two arent electric, two are powered by the car as two can be powered by car or mains. I think I will keep the last two and try and sell the rest!
    JoJoC wrote: »
    Great news on the holiday and also on having your next savings goal met!

Thanks JoJo, I am so impatient I can't wait to keep updating my savings goals. I stare at my spreadsheet for what feels like hours sometimes updating and rearranging things!
    Spendless wrote: »
    Ahhh moveable birthdays - my kids used to have them and occasionally still do (they're 17 and 14):shhh::p:D

I love going away May half term instead of the six weeks summer hols - much better value. I haven't been able to do this for the past few years though as kids have been in examination years and revising.

Read the amount of baking you'd done and then laughed at the comment about it lasting 2 days- joys of a large family. :D

Have a good day

Yes the amount of baking done, doesn't last long in this house! And I'm supposed to be on a diet! :rotfl:

I am looking forward to my holiday, just need to pay for it now.

I have been clearing out the garage this morning. Washing was on the line at 9am this morning! I have also attempted a tip run but the queue was horrendous so I came home. I will go again tomorrow morning after the school run as it will be quieter.

But I have unearthed some more things to sell from the garage including my old Enid blyton books. One of which has just recently sold on eBay for £5. So although I hate to see them go, they are just cluttering my house up. I have tried to get the kids to read but they aren't interested. I need some motivation though as I am finding loads of things to sell but just can't be bothered to photograph, write descriptions and list them!
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Can you get the older ones involved in the selling online?
    Set up a little competition and whoever makes the most get's a Little prize? Or soemthing along those lines.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Mumoffourkids
    Options
    I think the older ones don't want to be bothered with selling. It's hard enough to get them to do their chores!

Anyway I managed to list four more items on eBay, two already have bids. Did another tip run so more stuff cleared from the house and garage.

It feels a bit like I haven't done much debt busting the last couple of days but I know I can't pay things off all the time. Just got to keep on thinking about what I am spending each time and whether I actually need it or not.

Also I have been thinking about life after debt and how I really want to buy a house, but around here to buy a house that would be big enough for us is at least £350,000 if not a lot more. So I need to think about how I am going to manage to buy a house because that is my ultimate aim. I can't do anymore hours at the moment at work without the kids and house suffering but I am thinking that I will have to try and think up ways to make more money once the extra funding kicks in and the youngest two get a little older. Something to think about and plan for I think!
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Do you like the house you are renting enough to buy it? Would the landlord consider selling in a few years. A private sale would mean no estate agent fees saving you both a lot of money. Could be an option.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Options
    Once the debt has gone, just keep saving towards a deposit. The time that you can work more hours and not need as much childcare will come soon enough. I once refused to go and see about a f-time job when my eldest was 10 as I didn't want him in f-time childcare. Within months he no longer was needing it (he was yr 6 at the time). To this day I regret not going to at least find out about the job. What are the ages of your kids btw?
  • Mumoffourkids
    Options
    Do you like the house you are renting enough to buy it? Would the landlord consider selling in a few years. A private sale would mean no estate agent fees saving you both a lot of money. Could be an option.

I like the house and where it is but it’s not really big enough downstairs. If I was to buy it I would convert the garage to an extra room. I’m not sure my landlord would sell though as he bought the house to rent out about three weeks before I moved in. But it is a thought though.
    Spendless wrote: »
    Once the debt has gone, just keep saving towards a deposit. The time that you can work more hours and not need as much childcare will come soon enough. I once refused to go and see about a f-time job when my eldest was 10 as I didn't want him in f-time childcare. Within months he no longer was needing it (he was yr 6 at the time). To this day I regret not going to at least find out about the job. What are the ages of your kids btw?

My kids are currently 15, 12, 9, 7, 3 and 18 months. So I have a long time before I wont have to pay any childcare. I will start saving for a deposit but I can see it’s going to take a long time to save up enough. Once the youngest two are at school I will be able to work Mondays and Fridays so I might pick up some self employed work. Then I can always try and increase that slowly. The thing is I don’t want it to take over my life as I have done it before working for myself and from home and i don’t tend to switch off. But it is a way of earning more money without needing extra childcare.
  • Mumoffourkids
    Options
    So today was mega busy at work. We were asked to extra hours but haven't really been given any extra work, well until yesterday and today that is! So now we have the extra work and I'm not sure if I can fit it in to my three days as well as my own work! But hey at least I wasn't bored. But it did mean I didn't really have time to check PA at all today!

This should be a low spend week so I should have some money to put into savings on Sunday if not before, which is good as the nursery fees are £77 more than I thought they were for March. In theory if ex gets his bonus and gives me some it will be fine and I should have my overdraft paid off. If not, then I'll just divert some of the money from savings into my current account.
  • Mumoffourkids
    Options
    So I have just applied and been approved for the Help to Buy East and South East. I know that I am nowhere near at the moment buying a property but I wanted to see if I would be approved and I have been. There are no houses anywhere near me at the moment but it is very interesting to see what is out there at the moment. I was looking at a 3 bed which isn't really big enough but could work for a little while and that is £126000 for 40% share and the rent and mortgage would come to less than what rent I am paying at the moment. So it is very encouraging. And the deposit needed for that is only £6200. I am going to work out a five year plan later tonight and work out how much I can save in five years after having paid off my debt so what position I will be in then with regards to money. I know there is no guarantee that I will get a house but I am now on the database so if something does come up, then maybe, just maybe I might be able to buy a house!!! Exciting times ahead!!
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Options
    That is very exciting.
    Just look at the changes you are making - you really do go for it when you want something, don't you? Very inspirational.
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00

LD 11.24 £500.00/£345.00 (69%)    INS 12.24 £600.00/£000.00
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£070.00 (15%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£083.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0600.00

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport