How best to defog / deice your windscreen?

1235»

Comments

• amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,004 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    gardner1 wrote: »
    I use a big old bath towel.....just clamps in both doors nicely and windscreen wipers hold it in place or and old shower curtain
    I second this, we always use a towel, whip it off in the morning and away you go :D
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    shinytop wrote: »
    Apart from that, assuming you're off-road, just start the car 10 mins before you leave.

That's fine if you don't have any neighbours within earshot and don't care about what is coming out of the tailpipe.

It could also land you with a fine if you do it while parked on a public road or in a public place.

Engine idling - why it's so harmful and what's being done
  • To minimise the inside misting up use the AirCon during the winter. It dehumidifies the air inside the car and can help to avoid the misting up. Keep the windows clean and don't try to dry the inside with your hand or a dirty cloth as this will leave smears.
    Avoid getting the glass frosty by covering up - a garage works best, but for those parking on the street a top car cover will work very well.
    I can park between 2 houses, so the car rarely gets frosty, but it's no drama if it does as I drive a trusty Ford Mondeo with heated front and rear screens.
    Above all don't be tempted to drive without clearing all the glass first - this is dangerous and I believe illegal. If it snows you should clear all the snow off you car for the same reasons.

Regards,
    Steve
  • JackeeBoy wrote: »
    Because they don't have cars with that technology obviously.

Really, are there still cars on the road without this technology on them? Do you mean classic cars? I'd understand that
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Shut the garage door and switch-on the old dehumidifier I keep in there for a couple of hours.
  • motorguy wrote: »
    I'm just jealous of your car mate, whatever it is it sounds cool. :D

Its just a car, but quite cool, well for me, just no garage for it :)
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    People are suggesting using the air-con, but is it not the case that a/c is locked-out once the outside air temperature is down to low single digits and below?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure