Average water spend

Options
Hi,

I'm just wondering how much do other families spend on water? We are a family of five and pay £60 a month.

Comments

• notbritishgas
    notbritishgas Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 24 December 2018 at 3:07PM
    Options
    debtaghh wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm just wondering how much do other families spend on water? We are a family of five and pay £60 a month.
    It can depend on where you live as some companies charge more than others.
    However the average use per person is around the 55 cubic metres per year, do not exclude children if you have them as they still use the toilet and shower/bath, but perhaps not wash the car:rotfl:
    So see if that corresponds to your usage.
    For a family of 5 I would say £60 is reasonable.
    Also I am assuming you are on a meter.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Are you on a meter or is the bill calculated on rateable value.

There are too many variables to get a meaningful answer - two families using exacly the same amount of water in different parts of the country would pay different amounts.

It's like trying to compare petrol bills with someone who drives 30,000 miles in a Range Rover with someone with a Fiat 500 who drives 5000 miles a year - totally meaningless
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Helpmeoutofthismess
    Options
    Do you have 3 children under 18? If so have you asked your water company about the watersure tariff? We moved recently and are now supplied by Anglican water. I was quite miffed when they told me we would be paying £36 a month and thought we would be better just paying for metered till I checked how much our bill would have been, it was nearly double what we would have paid affinity for the same amount of water!

H x
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We are on a meter and in the south east of England. I was just trying to compare as it seems a lot.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Do you have 3 children under 18? If so have you asked your water company about the watersure tariff? We moved recently and are now supplied by Anglican water. I was quite miffed when they told me we would be paying £36 a month and thought we would be better just paying for metered till I checked how much our bill would have been, it was nearly double what we would have paid affinity for the same amount of water!

H x

Yes we have three under 18. I've never heard of that so thanks.
  • Lillnisse
    Options
    I live in a 2 bed flat with my 4 year old son. I do the dishes twice a week, I use paper plates so I save on doing the dishes. Shower every other day if that. My kid has a bath every other evening. I don't flush when doing number one. Using the washing machine once a week on eco as well.

I get my bill quarterly, and according to South East Water I spend over £200 for water and sewage Per month. So I got a massive over £600 bill from them. I just laughed in disbelief when I saw the bill, and emailed them that the bill is wrong and I'm not paying that before they check things out. I don't live in a darn hotel with lots of guests like the bill suggests.

Even my friend with 3 kids who use alot of water everyday pay only £20 a month on tariff.

It took a while before I received a county court letter from them, that I need to pay. We came to an agreement that I pay £30 but then SEW wanted £48. Which I've been paying now every month, because they aren't listening about my rights and sob stories. :(

Today though I received a letter from them that I have been paying for a another meter. I'm glad it took so long. I'm gonna ask for a rebate. After all, I've been living here for 3 years now. And been paying someone else's water bill. :mad::eek:
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Glad you managed to get it sorted
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    On Anglian Water and pay for water and sewerage, single person with in one-bedroom flat, occasional visits of my grandchildren who usually stay the weekend and love to shower twice a day. Shower daily, flush just twice a day (if it's yellow let it mellow, if its brown flush it down, thanks for that Martin), washing machine twice a week, washing pots by hand., no garden to water.

Anglian Water's calculation £27 per month which always results in an account in credit when the bill is paid. My own calculation would be closer to £20 per month. Annual bill £230.

I read my meter just before posting this and the reading is 00293 and the last meter reading on 24 March 2018 was 00256.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure