Single, six kids and going to be debt free!

Options

Comments

• wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    So so so close......
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Mumoffourkids
    Mumoffourkids Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know. I am so close and I was just feeling like I was getting somewhere and then yesterday my car breaks down again. I think it might be the clutch again! I have had two new clothes in the last two years. I only had to pay for the first one but I used a garage I was recommended and I have had nothing but trouble. I now use a completely different garage who I trust far more but if it is the clutch again then I really don!!!8217;t know what to do. I was only thinking the other day that I just need the car to last six months to a year and then I will have saved enough to buy a new one. Not brand new but new to me and newer than the one I have which is 13 years old. The problem I have is that I really need at least a seven seater car and they don!!!8217;t come cheap. I suppose I!!!8217;ll have to see what the garage says today and then make a decision but it looks as though I will be using public transport this week!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Wonderful you have nearly cleared the debt but pain about the car.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Mumoffourkids
    Options
    Wonderful you have nearly cleared the debt but pain about the car.

I know. I got my compensation cheque today so £80 was going off my debt knowing that when I get paid on 3rd August, I could pay one debt off completely. I am now trying to decide what to do about my car. I will add up what I have in savings today and see what I can do. Fingers crossed it can be fixed and isn’t too expensive and then once I have paid the debt, I will be saving hard for a new car!
  • Mumoffourkids
    Options
    So good news, car can be fixed and isn’t too expensive. I have enough in my car savings to fix it easily. And I will still be left with some savings in the car fund. So next step after debt is paid off is to save for a newer car. It will mean my dream of owning my own home will take a little longer but that’s life. At least my car can be fixed!
  • Drawingaline
    Drawingaline Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Fab news about the car.
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Good news on the car.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Mumoffourkids
    Options
    Thanks, car will be fixed today but just for today I am having to get the train to take smallest two to nursery, then get train back home and drop middle two at breakfast club and now on train to get to work. I am sweating already!

Last night though I updated my spreadsheet and even though I have t paid the compensation cheque in yet, I paid £82 off my target debt, leaving just £299.62 to pay on 3rd August. Then one debt is completely gone! I just have the one credit card to pay which I will concentrate my efforts on next.

I have also been about two of my debts which the bank have decided not to chase. They are still showing in my credit file and even though nothing is happening with them, they are still showing. I have been thinking about making a really low full and final offer to them I. The hope that they then show as partially satisfied. This is only once my other debts are paid off. I suppose I can only ask and they can only say no, but if they aren’t chasing the debts anymore I presume that partially satisfied will look better on my credit file than just outstanding.
  • Mumoffourkids
    Options
    So another good thing happened today. After my breakdown on Sunday I emailed my breakdown assistance to claim back my taxi fare home and I also asked for some compensation as the service I received was awful. I wasn't updated on what was going on and I thought well why not ask.

So today I got an email to say I will be getting the £30 back plus £50 as compensation! :j:j

So that will be going off my last debt I think. Its another £50 I didn't think I had so it's a bonus, I might put half towards my debt and half towards our Disneyland Paris holiday.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Wow you are doing brilliantly. Saving for car then house sounds sensible. Presumably you will need to be on a higher salary to get a mortgage anyway depending on where you live?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback