2018 Benbenandme's Next Battle

Options

Comments

• benbenandme
    benbenandme Posts: 12,175 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    So today I have done lots of gardening, Mum came round to sit in the garden for a bit and all was fine until she stood up to go back indoors, lost her balance stepping off the decking and fell over. Off to A&E again and this time she has broken her wrist :eek: :(:(

She's very down and in pain. She insisted on going home, I'll pop round there in the morning but she's going to struggle on her own :o
    Mortgage Total: £55,900 / £75,000
    2024 Savings: £2532
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Oh dear your poor poor mum.
    Poor you too.
    It just keeps coming.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh no, she really is in the wars, glad you were on hand to help out though.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • benbenandme
    Options
    Went to see Mum this morning and she was up and had managed to make herself a coffee :T I'll pop in again in a bit and then going round tonight for dinner.

Ds is at work again, I've done housework, two loads of washing and am tackling some more of the garden. I managed to get ds to help me take all of yesterday garden rubbish to the tip this morning, I'm pleased that lots out of he way although I'm already raking up enough for another car load :eek:

Todays swagbucks goal has just about been reached, meaning I can focus on other stuff today. While the weather is nice I want to crack on outdoors some more. I'm planning on pulling out loads of random stuff / dead plants, clearing it all and then starting again. I want to grow some veg / fruit, not sure where to even begin really but it's quite a nice project for the summer months :)

I have bought a couple of growbags, a couple of tomato plants and some sweet peas. I was nearly tempted into buying a camelia tree but thought I'd better wait until I've got the garden tamed a bit and have some sort of a plan ;)
  • benbenandme
    Options
    So my gardening isn't going so well ... I carried on today and was turning over the soil where I removed everything from yesterday and suddenly, in amongst what looked like a pile of rotting leaves there were lots of prickles ... and a very cute hibernating hedgehog :eek:

I checked him over and he wasn't damaged at all, but obviously I had disturbed his nest and there wasn't enough of it remaining to cover him up safely as he would be very exposed. I still had the huge cardboard boxes in the garage from when I bought the garden furniture last summer, so have made him a new bed with hay and leaves and put the hedgehog house from the garden over it. I put him in it, he did wake up for a little bit but has settled down again now. I've put plenty of clean water and some food out for him too, hopefully he can be released into the garden soon as long as the good weather holds up.

I feel bad for disturbing his home though, I thought I'd checked carefully underneath the hedge before I started but I hadn't realised they almost bury themselves into the ground and then cocoon leaves / twigs around them.
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hedgehogs will be up in the next week or so anyway so he will be fine. How is DS liking the Job? Is it helping with his behaviour?
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your mum. It's strange how as we get older we start to worry about them so much.
    My parents are in Australia and I'm an only child. While I now try to get over there every year, it's still a concern that they are on their own. I imagine I'll have to go back at some point.

Your gardening sounds lovely though :)
    Unfortunately every time I plan some gardening the weather turns against me so I've still yet to do my first cut of the grass. Still it gives me time to plan plants. I'm going to do some veg growing too. Probably just in grow bags.

How do you find time to get your swag bucks points to get so many vouchers? I'm really struggling!
  • benbenandme
    Options
    Ds was meant to be going to his Dads this weekend - he got the train but got off at the next stop as he didn't feel in a good place and wanted to come home. I picked him up and he's fine but his Dad keeps texting ds and I, saying stuff like "this is p***ing me off, I won't see him for a month now, he won't call me back when I ring him, I got his train ticket and it's wasted" ...

Now, he doesn't pay for the train ticket, he gets them through work, and he chooses to do this as he doesn't want to drive ... There would be rail replacement buses on the way back tomorrow and last time that took 5.5 hours, and ds said he didn't want to do that again. He' worked 32 hours this week and wants a rest. He is tired and recognised he was heading for a meltdown, which is huge progress for him, and doesn't feel comfortable being like that at his Dads. His Dad still doesn't believe his diagnosis and says it's just that I can't parent him :cool: :cool: Unfortunately he doesn't know his son whatsoever and ds isn't comfortable discussing it with him as he knows his Dad thinks it's 'just a phase'.

So he'sat home which is quite nice as he's not been here much this week. We're having a lazy day, I went to Sainsburys and get some fresh bread and ham for lunch and am making a fish pie for dinner. We'll go and see Mum later too.

In other news, there were no signs of the hedgehog moving when we went to bed last night but he must've got up in the night as he's spilt his water bowl over :D He didn't eat any food though. He's settled himself inside the hedgehog house and seems quite happy. Later on today I will move the house back outside, under a hedge, and leave some food and water nearby and hope he does alright :) He looks a decent size, I haven't weighed him as I don't want to distress him any more than I may already have :o

Frankie - Swagbucks; so each day I try to reach my daily goal. I'm not worried about getting to my second goal, just make sure I reach the first one each day. The best thing I did was join the facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/UKSwagbucksAndMore/?ref=group_header

They are brilliant for hints and tips for getting swagbucks :) I usually do a survey on there each day, I find early morning or teatime to be the best time to find them available. I sometimes leave the watch apps playing while I'm at work but it can eat you battery, so I keep my phone on charge at the same time. As long as you reach your daily goal each day you will earn a decent bonus each month, this month I got 614 which is almost enough for a £5 voucher on its own. I did do the Heart bingo offer this week on discover, purely to get the double points thats on at the moment. I spent £10 on the bingo but will get 2 x 1250 sb's, one lot have already credited (and almost enough for a £10 amazon voucher), the second lot will come in June when the promotion pays out.
    The daily goal is usually around about 100 sb's, which means each week I should be earning a £5 Amazon voucher, on average. Sometimes I get more than that, if there is a round of Swago for example, but generally 100 sb's a day = £20 vouchers a month :D
  • benbenandme
    Options
    Oops, sorry thought I'd replied to all but forgot your question Pooky re. ds job ...

He is loving it and is very excited about payday on Monday :D:D It is helping with his overall mood as he is occupied so doesn't have time to sit around and feel down. It is also a bit physical, nothing heavy but he' on his feet all day, so he's physically tired when he comes home, so has been happy going to bed about 9 - 9.30 which is unheard of in the holidays normally these days. He says he's been sleeping better too as he's tired, and finally gets that lovely feeling of getting into bed when you're knackered :D:D Long may it continue ;)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Glad DS's job is going well.
    I will make no comment on his dad.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure