Compensation Claim for Bank Exposing Balance to Colleague

Comments

• Did this colleague know that the phone used to be yours? Did the colleague come to you and say, 'I've got a text showing you're flat broke and spending your money in such dodgy places as Sainsbury's and BP (for example)?

Wouldn't they be more likely to think they'd got a text that didn't mean anything to them and just delete it? Why is it so bad for someone else to know you only have £x in your account? I only keep about £20 in my current account - everything else is farmed out to savings accounts. I couldn't care less who knows.

Were you really that embarrassed? £250 is a fantastic result for pretty much a non-event (in my eyes). Apologies if you were expecting sympathy and encouragement - although I do agree it shouldn't have happened - I guess that's why banks don't put identifying information in their SMS messages. If you feel you have suffered reputational damage you may want to take it further but, really?
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    boomshaka wrote: »
    I have been offered £250 compensation for the distress ... On the one hand it somehow feels inadequate and I'd have expected something a little more substantial

Seriously???

I'd snap their hands off. I think it's very generous.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    First world problems.
  • What else do you want, red carpet treatment each and every time you visit the bank?!
    :o
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,208
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I understand the OP might prefer his colleague not to know about the restaurants/theatre/shows/flight he was booking. However, nowadays there are mobile phones which will let you to put two SIM cards with two different numbers in and using company's SIM for personal things is better to avoid. I think the OP is lucky if none of his friends have been calling the colleague trying to reach the OP :-)
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,273
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 15 September 2018 at 8:46AM
    Ergates wrote: »
    No, you aren't.

Case law has established that distress alone is grounds for compensation when data protection laws have been breached.

Vidal-Hall v Google Inc
    TLT v Secretary of State for the Home Department.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,867
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    'Grounds' doesn't equal 'Entitled'... other than entitled to ask for.
  • kinger101
    Forumite
    soulsaver wrote: »
    'Grounds' doesn't equal 'Entitled'... other than entitled to ask for.

82.1 GDPR

Any person who has suffered material or non-material damage as a result of an infringement of this Regulation shall have the right to receive compensation from the controller or processor for the damage suffered.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,867
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    kinger101 wrote: »
    82.1 GDPR

Any person who has suffered material or non-material damage as a result of an infringement of this Regulation shall have the right to receive compensation from the controller or processor for the damage suffered.
    S/He's already getting compensation and is asking what s/he is entitled to.
  • kinger101
    Forumite
    edited 15 September 2018 at 10:28AM
    soulsaver wrote: »
    S/He's already getting compensation and is asking what s/he is entitled to.

I know. My original post was to correct those who implied that compensation is only due when there is a consequential loss.

In this instance, pursuing it further would be foolish. A court might decide £100 pound is ample, which wouldn't cover even a fraction of the legal costs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport