ESA claim for my son

So, the time has finally arrived. My son is twenty years old next week, and child benefits stop, so I've claimed ESA today on his behalf. I'm his appointee as he has a severe learning disability and numerous other conditions.

It took about five minutes on hold before I was able to speak to a call handler, then around thirty minutes giving details. The time scale for dealing with his claim is fairly quick for the initial part of the process. I'm aware that the actual assessment may take longer than the stated thirteen weeks, but that doesn't worry me.

I did find it a bit emotional towards the end of the call. Even though my son has been disabled since birth, and will never be cured, it seemed so final to claim a benefit for him being unable to work. We all have hopes and aspirations for our children. Mine for my son are a little different to the hopes that I have for my other two children. For the time being, I'd like him to continue enjoying his SEN course at college, and maybe one day learn to recognise all of our current coins without mistakes. I'd like him to continue to enjoy travelling on his special needs bus with his friends, and for us to find a social activity that is suitable for him. I'd like him to carry on enjoying life, and eventually to be able to attend a good day provision after his college course ends.

In the short term, I'm hoping that my son's ESA is awarded without any problems. I'm fairly confident that it will be. People tend to post more about difficulties in claiming than successes.

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    So, the time has finally arrived. My son is twenty years old next week, and child benefits stop, so I've claimed ESA today on his behalf. I'm his appointee as he has a severe learning disability and numerous other conditions.

It took about five minutes on hold before I was able to speak to a call handler, then around thirty minutes giving details. The time scale for dealing with his claim is fairly quick for the initial part of the process. I'm aware that the actual assessment may take longer than the stated thirteen weeks, but that doesn't worry me.

I did find it a bit emotional towards the end of the call. Even though my son has been disabled since birth, and will never be cured, it seemed so final to claim a benefit for him being unable to work. We all have hopes and aspirations for our children. Mine for my son are a little different to the hopes that I have for my other two children. For the time being, I'd like him to continue enjoying his SEN course at college, and maybe one day learn to recognise all of our current coins without mistakes. I'd like him to continue to enjoy travelling on his special needs bus with his friends, and for us to find a social activity that is suitable for him. I'd like him to carry on enjoying life, and eventually to be able to attend a good day provision after his college course ends.

In the short term, I'm hoping that my son's ESA is awarded without any problems. I'm fairly confident that it will be. People tend to post more about difficulties in claiming than successes.
    As he already claims a disability benefit and he's in college then he'll automatically have a limited capability for work. (WRAG) He will still need to be assessed for the limited capability for work related activity ( Support Group)

Good luck and i hope it's straight forward for you too!
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    As he already claims a disability benefit and he's in college then he'll automatically have a limited capability for work. (WRAG) He will still need to be assessed for the limited capability for work related activity ( Support Group)

Good luck and i hope it's straight forward for you too!

Yep, the chap on the phone explained it, and I'd done some research on it beforehand. There won't be any problem getting ESA, and hopefully he'll be put straight intot he support group. The call handler actually told me that if he was put into WRAG, to ring the number on the letter to ask for MR. It seems that being my son's appointee actually helps as well, which is something that I hadn't considered.
  • I think having a appointee does help. I have one from social services and when I got called to my ESA medical (which I was in and out the building in 15 minuets as I was told I shouldn’t been called) the assesser didn’t ask me any financial questions at all.
  • kingfisherblue
    I think having a appointee does help. I have one from social services and when I got called to my ESA medical (which I was in and out the building in 15 minuets as I was told I shouldn’t been called) the assesser didn’t ask me any financial questions at all.

It isn't just financial questions that my son will not be able to answer. If I'm lucky, he will tell the assessor his name, although the assessor might not understand the answer, due to my son's speech difficulties.

Apart from this, my son finds it very difficult to understand all but the most basic of questions, and even then, he can find questions distressing because people tend to speak at a normal speed, rather than slowly. If he becomes distressed by anything, he will drop his head into his hands and try to hide his face. Hopefully the assessor will allow him to sit and colour, without speaking.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Remember to get a sick note from the GP to cover the assessment phase they must be continuous.
  • kingfisherblue
    CHRISSYG wrote: »
    Remember to get a sick note from the GP to cover the assessment phase they must be continuous.

On my list, but thank you. I've been told that I need to get a sick note for my son. Our GP retired last week (I found out a couple of days ago, via Facebook!), so we'll have to see a different one at the surgery. I don't know how longh a sick note lasts. Will they provide one for the full thirteen weeks assessment phase, or is it only for a month at a time?
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    On my list, but thank you. I've been told that I need to get a sick note for my son. Our GP retired last week (I found out a couple of days ago, via Facebook!), so we'll have to see a different one at the surgery. I don't know how longh a sick note lasts. Will they provide one for the full thirteen weeks assessment phase, or is it only for a month at a time?

I think the first one can only be for a few weeks (I can't remember how many, 4 rings a bell) but after that they can be for three months at a time.

Your son's GP will know, s/he'll presumably give the longest one they can each time.

You keep sending them until you have an ESA decision.

The DWP will send you a reminder, but the reminder letter doesn't usually arrive until after the old one has run out...
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • kingfisherblue
    Thank you Ames. That's really helpful. I'll have to keep a note on the calendar then. Just another thing to add to the list :)

On another note, my son's college has told me that he is entitled to a bursary of £1000 a year once he is in receipt of both ESA and PIP/DLA. They even have a member of staff to help you fill in the forms.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    As your son will automatically have a limited capability for work then fit notes may not be needed for as long as 13 weeks, but i don't know for sure. Usually those with a LCW don't need them. He will then be assessed for the Support Group.

ETA...silly me the assessment phase is 13 weeks and everyone needs fit notes for this, sorry my brain isn't working this evening.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    If he's a full time student and also receives PIP or DLA he doesn't need a fit note at all to claim ESA
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure