Dash Cam won’t turn off

ripplyuk
ripplyuk Posts: 2,885
First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
Forumite
I’ve got a Nextbase 412gw and it’s hardwired in. When I turn the car off, it stays on. I don’t know exactly how long for but it’s over an hour at least. I thought it would go into stand-by mode quickly but it doesn’t. I rang the customer support and was told not to worry be there is built-in battery protection but I’m not sure I want to rely on that. I don’t drive a lot of miles so the battery wouldn’t get very long to charge up. Also during freezing winter temperatures I don’t think it’s a good idea to let this drain the battery further.

I tried turning on parking mode but it still doesn’t turn off. Also, the screen doesn’t automatically go blank after a few minutes like the manual says it should.

Comments

• oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    Have you tried a factory reset?
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It may have been incorrectly wired? Did you DIY? If not take it to whomever did the job?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • ripplyuk
    Forumite
    I’ve tried resetting it but that didn’t work.

I bought it at Halfords but they didn’t wire it in. It was a separate company called HPC. I did query with Nextbase about whether it was wired incorrectly but I couldn’t really understand what he was talking about. It was something to do with ‘live terminals’ or which type it has been connected to. Either way, he said it wasn’t a problem. I’m just not sure I believe that.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    There are two types of live feed that the installer can have tapped into.

One is permanently live. There's electrickery there all the time the battery is connected.

The other is ignition-switched. There's only electrickery there when the ignition is switched on.

It does sound rather as if your installer has chosen the latter, instead of the former. The amount of electrickery the cam is using is likely to be minimal, so your risk of having a flat battery is low, especially if the vehicle is in daily use. The camera is on all the time, so you are gaining a chance of it catching your car being hit while parked.
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,388
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You have it wired to a permanent live. The internal battery only lasts about 10 minutes from fully charged so it wouldn't stay on for over an hour unless it was hooked up to the car battery.

There is a setting in the settings menu which lets you specify how long until the screen turns off. Sounds like yours is set to 'never'.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 6,965
    Forumite
    Go into the menu and turn parking mode ON.

The camera shuts down 3 minutes after it last detects any movement
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • ripplyuk
    Forumite
    The car isn’t in daily use. It might only be a couple of times a week for a short journey. I’m worried this might not be enough to keep the battery charged with a dash cam running permanently.

Should I get the engineer to wire it in differently? Is it possible that with my make of car, he had no choice but to wire it that way? (It’s a volkswagen up, if anyone knows).
  • ripplyuk
    Forumite
    facade wrote: »
    Go into the menu and turn parking mode ON.

The camera shuts down 3 minutes after it last detects any movement

Mine doesn’t. It stays on.
  • The whole point of a hardwire in some cases is that the dashcam is used as CCTV to cover any damage whilst your out of the car and runs from a permanent live to enable it to do this, The second option of CCTV whilst out of the car running 24/7 is a separate battery pack and hardwiring to a Ignition switched live, so when the car ignition is off the battery takes over and continues to enable to the dashcam to monitor whilst your not there in a CCTV mode, When the engine start the battery goes into charge mode and switches the power load to the car when you using it.

Sounds like you want the latter set up and not a direct to car fused permanent hardwire to record.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2YZMNrbWUg
  • facade
    facade Posts: 6,965
    Forumite
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    Mine doesn’t. It stays on.

Then either the car is moving, the camera is broken, or Nextbase are a bunch of liars. :D

https://www.nextbase.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/NBDVR412GW-Instruction-Manual-English-R9.pdf

(p21)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure