David lloyd gym membership.....prices??

Options

Comments

• Realist1974
    Options
    Does anybody know whether it is possible to sign up to David Lloyd on a 3 month contract, and pay for the membership in cash rather than direct debit?
  • anotheroutrage
    Options
    JeffWorc,

Does your peak membership include use of rackets (tennis, squash...) ?

If so then you are getting full peak time with rackets membership for the same price as couples that joined a couple of years ago are paying now for off-peak gym-only membership.

The price list you have seen is the "new customers only" list. You can expect it to go up sharply.
  • amyg2704
    Options
    Can anyone confirm the price in Leeds Moortown for a couple membership??
  • Halbared
    Options
    funkylady789,

You need to tread carefully. I think earlier in this thread people reported that at any sign of non-payment according to contract, DL just sever any communication with you and call in a debt collection agency.

That wasn't my experience. They tried to communicate with me many times over a lengthy period.
  • sebtomato
    sebtomato Posts: 1,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 March 2013 at 5:30AM
    Options
    1. With or without rackets: with rackets
    2. Anytime, or off-peak only: anytime
    3. Single, joint (two people), family membership...: Single
    4. For which specific gym location, or for any gym countrywide: Any gym

I have been a member at a David Lloyd west London club for several years, and paying £110 a month (no towels!). People paying yearly get a discount, but not sure how much. Might be around 10%. They want about £40 a month extra for Vantage membership.

They have increased their prices by more than twice the rate of inflation in the last few years, while the standards have decreased. When I joined, I was paying £82 a month, so they have increased the price by 35%, while inflation over the same period was 16%.

They now charge £25 for guest passes (for instance, to play tennis with a non-member for an hour...), and £2.50 for a towel. Those prices are ridiculous and completely out of line with other local gyms.

Apparently, a trick to squeeze a 15% discount out of them is to give your 3-month notice, and then wait for them to offer 2 months free if you continue your membership... Usually, they call after 2 months or so.

They are surely a lot less busy compared to a couple of years ago (car park utilization is an obvious indicator) and therefore probably very keen to retain members.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • paxtecum
    paxtecum Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Does anybody know whether it is possible to sign up to David Lloyd on a 3 month contract, and pay for the membership in cash rather than direct debit?

I asked this question to the sales guy, I didnt want David Lloyd having access to my bank account. You have to sign a contract and give a full calendar months notice. David Lloyd want access to your bank details, so they can take a direct debit each month. If you don't cancel then you carry on paying the monthly fee. If you like the gym after the 3 months you could start a 12 month contract for a lower rate.
  • HarryBerry
    Options
    Looking at gym prices in Stevenage this week they must have come down at lot.

The DL near me (not racquet but everything else) was 43.50 per person for a full peak membership a month.

Still a bit pricey for me but might help some people get a better deal. ;)
  • Bobo360m
    Options
    £155 per month. anytime for family of four. Racquets included for children. Cardiff club only.
  • heartbreak_star
    heartbreak_star Posts: 8,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I could faint at some of these prices.

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure