Letter from Halifax re Mortgage

I received a letter yesterday from Halifax, who I had a mortgage with last year on my previous house.

The letter said that they had allocated some payments incorrectly and have included a cheque for £20 to compensate for it.

When I called them they said that the difference was pence but they calculated that noone was out of pocket by more than £20 so they've decided to send everyone effected a cheque of £20 to cover it.

It sounds a little strange to me that the bank would send me £20 if I'm only a few pence out of pocket, but I've asked them to send me a breakdown so we'll see what comes.

My question was whether anyone else had received a letter like this from them, what you've done about it, and anyone's pushed them further over it...I don't like the idea of banks messing up and brushing it under the carpet!

The chap on the end of the phone was pleasant enough and seemed like he'd had a few calls about the letter as its worded fairly vague, but its the vagueness that worries me more than anything.

Would like to know anyone's thoughts on the matter.

Cheers,
Pugs

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It's very common and no reason for suspicion or to be checking under your carpet.
  • Jockeyjames
    Jockeyjames Posts: 10 Forumite
    As zx81 said, it's actually pretty common. I'd stick to "Thank you for the extra cash" rather than fighting them on it. Who knows, next time they might just give us our pennies!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    It would cost more in staff time to go through each mortgage individually to find the exact number unless there is a simple computer calculation.

Just accept it and forget about it. Did they say how the error occurred and how the payments were allocated in the wrong way?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My mortgage is with Halifax, I have not received such a letter with the offer of free money, who do I complain to and how much compensation am I due?

Seriously, bank the cheque and buy a bottle of wine/beer/squash.

Win
  • owen_money
    owen_money Posts: 764 Forumite
    If it transpires that you have only over paid by a few pence will you be sending back cheque for the difference?
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    A_Frayed_Knot Posts: 3,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    No letter for me. Just a few different entries on my mortgage statement.

Redress £20 and Balance Movement £111.70 - thus giving me this amount interest free for the rest of my mortgage.

Bank Manager knew what Balance Movement was but couldn't tell me until checked with mortgage provider.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • s88
    s88 Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Sorry to bump this thread, but my mortgage is with HBOS and I also just noticed this when doing my weekly finances. Havn't received letter yet, just noticed on my online banking.

It has taken £86.29 from my account/product fee ( putting it back up to £265 ) and transferred it to my mortgage principal, similar to an overpayment, and also added £20 on top of that, which as the thread suggests must be 'compensation'.

A small percentage of both my overpayments and DD goes towards reducing the product fee, which I never really bothered about. Strange for it to happen, but I'll gladly accept it with open arms.
  • gaz141
    gaz141 Posts: 110 Forumite
    I also looked at my online Halifax statement and they have credited my account with £20 as "Redress". l've never complained, never been in arrears so no idea why they have given me money back. Not that I am complaining, just found it odd.
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    A_Frayed_Knot Posts: 3,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    No letter for me. Just a few different entries on my mortgage statement.

Redress £20 and Balance Movement £111.70 - thus giving me this amount interest free for the rest of my mortgage.

Bank Manager knew what Balance Movement was but couldn't tell me until checked with mortgage provider.

Update . .
    [FONT=&quot]Well, here it is . . . letter that explains everything and nothing.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Seems H@lif@x haven't always applied my payments correctly [/FONT][FONT=&quot]which means they charged more interest than they should have , [/FONT][FONT=&quot]And they are sorry for this and given me £20 [/FONT]:cool:

[FONT=&quot]However that doesn't seem to cover it as they have also applied too much payment [/FONT][FONT=&quot]to my interest free sub account, which meant my interest free sub account was reducing quicker than it should have [/FONT]:D

[FONT=&quot]They therefore moved some of my mortgage balance, so more is interest free now. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Hmmmmm ~ me thinks, me wonders, me puzzled.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The £20 covers the incorrectly charged interest plus compensation/goodwill.

The transfer ensures you're paying the right interest going forwards.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure