PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Kefir making as alternative to yoghurt making.

Comments

• Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 12 February 2017 at 11:00AM
    Shykins goodness me you managed to let my old grain survive all this time, good for you! I neglected mine during holidays and they died.

Well, I hope that someone else will pick up this thread and if they have grains let me know please!

Maddiemay, why not make your own sauerkraut, it's so easy! You just chop a head of white cabbage into fine strips, then mix it with a tablespoon of good quality salt (like sea salt or Himalayan) and pummel it into chucking up its own liquid, then pack it into a wide mouthed kilner type jar, pushing it well to be covered by its juice. Put a clean stone or even a sandwich bag filled with water and sealed, on top, to keep the cabbage submerged, close the lid then let it ferment. "Burp" it every day or so to avoid it exploding! Honestly, once you make your own you will resent paying the silly prices of commercial unpasturised ones!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    caterina they were such good grains they have lasted despite having been refrigerated a few times for holidays etc. if they start multiplying i will let you know and you can have some, hopefully if it warms a little they might grow a bit more

maddie i sometimes i find i have to rinse them every day when they have been in a fridge and it can take up to a week for them to come back to life so to speak
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Caterina wrote: »
    Shykins goodness me you managed to let my old grain survive all this time, good for you! I neglected mine during holidays and they died.

Well, I hope that someone else will pick up this thread and if they have grains let me know please!

Maddiemay, why not make your own sauerkraut, it's so easy! You just chop a head of white cabbage into fine strips, then mix it with a tablespoon of good quality salt (like sea salt or Himalayan) and pummel it into chucking up its own liquid, then pack it into a wide mouthed kilner type jar, pushing it well to be covered by its juice. Put a clean stone or even a sandwich bag filled with water and sealed, on top, to keep the cabbage submerged, close the lid then let it ferment. "Burp" it every day or so to avoid it exploding! Honestly, once you make your own you will resent paying the silly prices of commercial unpasturised ones!

Caterina, I have bought cabbage in readiness, but on checking today I do not have a spare suitable jar, I will get one tomorrow and begin, thank you for your easy to understand instructions. I will report back:D

I recognise your name from the daily thread, which I have been lurking on for a few weeks, I may pluck up courage and see if I can join you from time to time:)
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • maddiemay
    shykins wrote: »
    caterina they were such good grains they have lasted despite having been refrigerated a few times for holidays etc. if they start multiplying i will let you know and you can have some, hopefully if it warms a little they might grow a bit more

maddie i sometimes i find i have to rinse them every day when they have been in a fridge and it can take up to a week for them to come back to life so to speak

shykins - thanks for this, I rinsed them just and will try it for a few days:D
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • shykins wrote: »
    as i understand it the bottles are bascially kefir 'watered' down with milk

what makes you say that shykins? watered down means adding water, I understand that the manufacturers would have to add milk to feed the grains so that the kefir in a bottle has a bit longer `use by date`.

My kefir is back into full swing, took a while to get used to the taste again, the fact that I have never liked to drink neat milk but love it now. Me and my siblings grew up having kefir every day of our young lives in the 50s, we are amazingly healthy even today

I have frozen some in large ice cubes, belt and braces just in case, as it can be revived from the cubes and I think I will also dehydrate grains when I have allowed enough to grow again. These will also be frozen and will be fine for 12 months. I have lost grains in the past so never say never

re sauerkraut, yes I second the fact that it is very easy. I use a special 5 litre pot and a sawn off granite rolling pin for pounding. It keeps well when packed in jars, I keep it dark and in a cool place. We used to buy it from a market stall, from a large barrel. None pasteurised, like I make now

I also make sourdough bread, so my house is culture heaven :D
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    perhaps i should have said 'milked' down?

caterina i could probably spare you a teaspoon or 2 if you still dont have any grains
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Thank you Shykins, will PM you now xx
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • maddiemay
    My Kefir grains are coming back to life and looking good:D I keep having a taste from the plastic spoon after stirring or straining to get used to the taste, but have not actually taken any yet as I have had very bad IBS for a few months which is improving, but in view of the "cleansing effect" that some people have reported, not dared to take any on days I have needed to be out of the house for a long spell:eek: Dear Dog loves it though and is being given a few tablespoons each day instead of buying "good" yogurt for her - the bowl is always licked clean.

As of this morning I now have everything I need to start off the sauerkraut, spending time in the garden today while it is warm and sunny, and need to do baking first, but will try and get going with the cabbage shredding soon, I do have a food processor so shouldn't take too long.
  • I love the sound of this - very keen on natural yoghurt type things. How much do you need to be making to keep it "ticking over"? I live alone, would love to try but don't want to be swimming in it...
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    As I love natural yogurt, especially thick Greek yogurt I thought I'd enjoy kefir. Got grains from eBay and they did well but could not adjust to the taste of them at all.

I read here with envy and think I should try again, but I'm cautious..I tried using full fat, organic milk as well as various skimmed types but still couldn't stomach the taste. I gagged.

What else can you use them with? Is juice or broth a no no?

My neighbour is Korean and makes kimchi, she has gifted me some several times and it's amazing. I'm plucking up the courage to ask her how to make it. Google and pootube have lots of info but she'd be the best person to impart that knowledge. We get on really well, she's a great neighbour but we have a bit of a language barrier.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure