IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking eye court threat

Back last year I received several letters about parking at the Holiday Inn car park - however I ignored these. I had visited the holiday inn (the date claimed) to pay another installment on our wedding package and discuss added extras for our package.
I'd also visited holiday in several times before and after and never had a letter of a charge.

I have now had a letter today from the County business centre in Northampton with a charge of £175.
With forms to fill out and send back to them.
I don't want to get a ccj on my credit file, and worried about what to do. I've emailed the holiday inn in regards to this, as they obviously employee parking eye to run their car park, to see if they have some sway to this.

I've always been advised to ignore private parking letters of the threat.

Any advice would be great!

Comments

• Hi and welcome to the forum :)

For the best advice, you need to post your thread on The Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • robber2
    robber2 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary

I've always been advised to ignore private parking letters of the threat.

Presumably that advice was given to you by some bloke down the Pub!
  • No need to be rude!
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 20 January 2020 at 4:02PM
    No need to be rude!

While they were blunt, ignoring a private parking ticket hasn't been the correct thing to do since the Protection of Freedoms act came into effect in 2012.

You'll only get a CCJ on your file if you a) get taken to court, b) loose at court (either by ignoring it or failing to present a good enough case) and c) failing to pay the judgement within the time limit (if you pay after the CCJ is recorded, the debt goes away but the black mark doesn't).

as Willing2Learn says, you should make a post on the parking board for specific advice. As you were a legitimate user you could still get the ticket canceled, but time is of the essence.

Edit: I came to this thread from the credit board but I've just seen it's now on the motoring board.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    PE signs leave much to be desired, read this

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5972164

and buld your defence around it.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Nine times out of ten these tickets are scams, so consider complaining to your MP, it can cause the scammer extra costs and work, and has been known to get the charge cancelled.

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, many of whom are former clampers, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, persistent offenders denied access to the DVLA database and unable to operate.

Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers, but until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.[/FONT][/FONT]
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure