TRG - T R European Growth IT

I bought TRG some time ago and it has made a profit even with the recent big downturn. I am thinking of buying some more because it is currently at a fairly low price and at a good discount? Anybody else hold TRG and if so, any thoughts?

Comments

• Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,797 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I don't particularly find it that attractive. Seems middle of the road in performance (slightly better over 5 years but worse over 10). Certainly taken a bit of a hit recently with a good discount but I prefer other funds to be honest.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    We (me / OH) have around 2% of our portfolio with this, held for around 10 years. Not unhappy with it, but not planning to increase the amount held at present.
  • Morphoton
    Morphoton Posts: 90 Forumite
    I have held TRG for around 20 years now and it has performed very well for me. It was hit hard during the tech crash at the turn of the century and went below 100p in 2002 but since then has returned more than 10-fold.
    TRG is my main exposure to Europe, the only other exposure I have is through TRY (TR Property).
    No plans to change from TRG apart from doing formal rebalancing when my thresholds are reached.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I've never bought this trust but a couple of observations. Although it is currently trading at a discount, apart from a brief period at the end of last year, it always has done for the last 10 years. The current discount is not high historically and wouldn't be compelling enough for me right now on that basis alone. It has a performance fee so the current OCF of 1.55% is high, you may feel the performance is high enough to overcome this. If you look at the AIC it has the highest charges for a European trust over 5 years but also the highest total return over the same period
  • Sue58
    Sue58 Posts: 288 Forumite
    ColdIron wrote: »
    I've never bought this trust but a couple of observations. Although it is currently trading at a discount, apart from a brief period at the end of last year, it always has done for the last 10 years. The current discount is not high historically and wouldn't be compelling enough for me right now on that basis alone. It has a performance fee so the current OCF of 1.55% is high, you may feel the performance is high enough to overcome this. If you look at the AIC it has the highest charges for a European trust over 5 years but also the highest total return over the same period

Looking at this again, it is currently trading at a discount of 12.3% and it is at least 20% off its highest share price. I know a lot of people are selling TRG but surely this is a good time to top up this holding?
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Are you working to a fixed percentage allocation and just topping up to restore it? Most of the reduction in share price is down to the widening discount (closer to its historic levels) rather than a reduction of NAV, which has more or less stood up since recent highs so I suppose the thing to do is understand the reason behind that and determine if it could widen further
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,821 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sue58 wrote: »
    Looking at this again, it is currently trading at a discount of 12.3% and it is at least 20% off its highest share price. I know a lot of people are selling TRG but surely this is a good time to top up this holding?
    TRG massively outperformanced its sector from the beginning of 2017 and for most of the year. It would have been a more interesting post in the last quarter of 2017 asking if you should take profits. It has now given up most of those gains (hence its FE volatility of 161) and, as Coldiron says, it seems to be back to its long term discount, so it doesn't seem to be either an especially good or bad time to top up.
  • ArchBair
    ArchBair Posts: 153 Forumite
    ColdIron wrote: »
    Most of the reduction in share price is down to the widening discount (closer to its historic levels) rather than a reduction of NAV, which has more or less stood up since recent highs so I suppose the thing to do is understand the reason behind that and determine if it could widen further

Traders are more interested in the share price top buy or sell, however as you said in this case TRG's NAV has stood up well so for long term investors this is a bonus in their current share price decline.
  • ArchBair
    ArchBair Posts: 153 Forumite
    TRG share price is now trading at 1000p a full 279p off its year high and at a discount of 12.82% so not a bad time to invest?
  • IanManc
    IanManc Posts: 2,079 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ArchBair wrote: »
    TRG share price is now trading at 1000p a full 279p off its year high and at a discount of 12.82% so not a bad time to invest?

I suppose it depends on whether you think the market has got the price wrong.

Do you know something that everyone else doesn't?

Worth thinking about ……… :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport