PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What should my boyfriend do in this situation?

Comments

• Thank you for your replies, they are helping me see the situation more clearly. It is useful to hear that property is not necessarily the best long-term investment.

Financial advice is something he is arranging, but we were curious to learn a bit more sooner, hence the thread.
  • This thread may be better off in the Pensions & Retirement board or the Savings & Investment board.

Does your boyfriend have a pension? He should look into that too.

Property can provide a decent income but it's by no means straight-forward or without risk. You may find you're spending more than you're earning in rent when you have a small deposit. The difference between the mortgage payments and rent can quickly get eaten up by maintenance issues and rental voids (time where you have no tenant) or tax (if your boyfriend is a 40% tax payer the tax relief he can claim on mortgage payments is reduced). If you get a bad tenant and/or have some major maintenance issues you could go a year or two spending major money on the house.

A lot of the return in BTL in the past has come from house price inflation, not the regular income it provides.

It sounds like he's just decided property is the way to go without really understanding it. He needs to read up on what being a landlord involves, the various tax implications (extra stamp duty if he buys another house, capital gains tax to pay, the tax treatment of maintenance costs, mortgage insurance costs and how this changes if you move into the 40% band etc), understanding the financing and the risks.
  • Yes! I did struggle to decide where to post this query :)
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    TiredDonna wrote: »
    Re Buy-to-let mortgages, my boyfriend understands that you already need to be home-owner/have a mortgage.

The friend is not a letting agent :) something to do with conveyancing.

He would certainly be open to other investments if they could be readily converted in to a roof over his head should he need one.

Well this investment would take 40 weeks before he had a roof over his head, and that's after the fixed term expired....

Most other investments don't take that long to liquidate.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    At a minimum. If tenants have just signed a new 12 month contract it could take up to 18 months to get rid of them.

That's not liquid at all.
  • Yes, I can clearly see I shouldn't have used the word "quickly" and have been taken to task for that.
  • Or "readily" which is what I did say, and I was thinking in comparison with his pensions.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Your friend has checked his state pension situation?

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

He has several pensions and is currently contributing to a pension?

Would he consider buying a home in an attractive location which would be his PPR ?

He would register all his bank accounts there/ be on electoral roll there.

There would be nothing to prevent his staying with you during the week/as and when convenient or your staying with him at weekends/as and when convenient?

A family member owns a house (PPR) in the north, is there at week ends and on work from home days but lodges closer to work in the south on other days.
  • Lysimache
    Lysimache Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament
    A mortgage broker can advise him best as there are a few lenders who will offer a BTL without him having to own a property before or be a residential mortgage owner.
  • Hi xylophone, using two houses between us is a good idea. I could certainly get behind the idea of a doer-upper in the Peak District!

What do you mean by "has he checked his state pension"? What would he be checking for? We both anticipate not being able to retire until we're 70+.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure