Worldwide Marketing Solutions / Worldwideems con? Beware!

Just to let you know that I know of someone who has just started her own small business and was called by a member of the Worldwide Marketing Solutions sales team. Apparently they claim to BE Google, and thereafter employ aggressive sales technique to quickly part you from £120 for a Google advert which, at the time of writing, hasn't yet materialised. She did try to cancel the advert about an hour after the initial sales call, suspecting that she had been conned, but they point blank refused saying she had no rights. I would recommend avoiding them like the plague. Their website is at worldwidems.co.uk.

Comments

• SH7990
    SH7990 Posts: 10 Forumite
    I also got conned by this lot into thinking I was dealing direct with Google, and got abuse when I phoned to complained. They've failed to answer any of my letters so far.

I'm now waiting to hear back from Trading Standards in Oldham and my credit card company before putting in a claim at the Small Claims Court. If I get this far, would anyone be prepared to contact me off forum to provide further evidence to back up my case? I will do likewise for anyone that asks.

If you Google them (fitting somehow, for a company that poses as Google!), you'll find that numerous people have succumbed to exactly the same tactics. E.g. look up these phone numbers on whocallsme dot com :

0161-633-6003, 0161-425-8171, 0161-637-2238, 0161-637-2239, 0161-637-2241, 0161-637-2243, 0161-637-2246, 0161-637-2247, 0161-637-2248

jonadams66, did you ever get any reply to the letter which you sent them?

I strongly urge anyone that's been scammed by Worldwide Marketing Solutions Ltd to log a complaint with:
    • The Consumer Direct helpline on 08454 040506. This is the easiest way to get complaints passed through to Trading Standards, and they will advise you on what action to take.
    • Oldham Trading Standards on 0161-770-3000 (main switchboard number, so ask to be put through to Trading Stds).
    • Your credit/debit card company/bank. Say you want to dispute the payment.
    • Greater Manchester Police on 0161-872-5050.
    If all else fails, if you Google "moneyclaim online" it lists the place to lodge a claim under the small claims procedure/small claims court.

If we stick together we CAN beat companies like this.

Simon
  • I also have a problem with this company.

I was assured of a full money back guarantee if I was at all unhappy with their service.

They also told me that they had a deal with Google that could get me up to 6 times the hits for the same money.

They took my money, and my hits dropped right off.

When I asked for my money back, they refused point black, telling me that their salesman had lied to me and they would not issue me a refund.

I cancelled my account, and they still used my cc details to take a further's month payment.

Has anybody got anywhere with getting their money back? Has anyone found a good procedure for this?

I'm happy to share detailed info about this.
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    If something sounds too good to be true then it often is. Lots of companies promise front page of Google and claim to be Google..you can get yourself on the front page of Google without spending any money at all.

Why not have a policy within your business not to buy anything over the phone, that way you are not going to be scammed.
  • bingo_bango
    bingo_bango Posts: 2,594 Forumite
    Blimey. 5 separate rants from brand new users. This crowd must be bad! :whistle:
  • unless you make glow in the dark cottage cheese, or you became famous over night you will not "instantly" hit the front page of google.com

Many people who claim to be seo experts, "we will get you to no.1 spot or the front page of google in x day/weeks" is bending the truth.

some tips for you guys and girls :) (or ladies and gents).

*Targeted advertising is far more important.
    *branding your site outside of the internet - ie your stationary etc
    *single site advertising
    * correct content.
    *sites with flash correctly coded with hidden div with h2 content
    * any spend on adwords must be key-worded with your site correctly. Otherwise you will find your price per click goes up rapidly.
    * don't use a single advertising point, use multiple.
    * increase exposure.
  • I too have been scammed by this company. They offered a no obligation trial said they would take the trial payment and would contact me at the end of the month's trial to discuss taking it further. Didn't get a call didn't even get an invoice for the extra payments they took. Couldn't get anyone to return my calls. Asked for their complaints department, they got really nasty. I asked to speak to someone in charge, they said someone would call back, never got a call. Called back and asked to speak to a Director, they wouldn't even give me a Director's name so that I could write a complaint. I got in touch with my credit card company who rang them whilst I was on the phone, they said they would call me straight away, still no call. Eventually I got hold of someone supposedly in charge there who refused to refund money and then kept spouting their terms at me over and over again. BUT I DIDN'T ENTER INTO A CONTRACT YOUR SALES GUY SAID IT WAS A NO OBLIGATION TRIAL FOR ONE MONTH. Please don't use this company, don't even listen to their sales talk just put the phone down. We must get businesses like this shut down they give other reputable companies a bad name. I feel so stupid for agreeing in the first place!
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Blimey. 5 separate rants from brand new users. This crowd must be bad!

Six now. :whistle:

Still, makes the forum stats look good with all these new user accounts being created ...
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • simmy28
    simmy28 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Make that 7, not a very new account but 1st post.

I have had so many calls from worlwide, nearly fell for it. I always type the number of any unknown company on google and 95% chance of finding out if there are any complaints about them.
  • SH7990
    SH7990 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Further to my original post, I'm pursuing my own claim against Worldwide Marketing Solutions Ltd in Oldham, and will keep you all informed about how I get on. I'm also in touch with someone else that has already taken Worldwide to court and won, and is current awaiting payment. Again I'll keep you informed.

In the meantime, I'm happy to provide anyone else with a written statement to support any claim you make, e.g. to your credit card company, small claims court, etc. Just send me a private message by clicking on SH7990 in the title of this message, and select the "Send a private message" option.

Even if my claim is not successful, I'm just keen to help anyone else get their money back so that this company doesn't get away with it.

Keep fighting,

Simon
  • colby2
    colby2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 24 July 2010 at 7:06PM
    :( I also have been scammed by them claiming to be Google. They told me after the first payment which was £198 i could freeze my ad at any time.

After 30 days they would send me an email stating how many times my ad had been searched and call me to find out whether i wanted to pay for another 30 days.

THEY NEVER DID EITHER.

My ad is not on google or other engine searches. when i call they just fob me off with saying computers are down, they will ring back, manager is not available, the person who set up my account is new, anything to get out the call. The last time i called they got nasty and kept on about their terms.

I have sent emails and a letter to cancel and have heard nothing. They have now taken another £175.08 from my account.
    The bank said they cannot help me as i gave wwms my details. My bank cancelled my card but i know ill never get my money back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure