Consent Order showing on credit file

Not sure if anyone will be able to help me on this front.

I have been clawing myself out of debt, and bit by bit my credit file has been looking better and better.

I had a business dispute over a fine, which I was defending. Unfortunately, I ran out of money to defend, and a consent order was made against me for costs. Its not a huge amount of money in the general scheme of things but too much for me to pay in full and avoid the order. I was under the impression that a consent order is NOT the same as a CCJ. The order was made in June, and has now appeared on my credit files. It does not seem to have made a shred of difference to them - Noddle stays resolutely low, and Credit Club continues to climb (it is now good). However, I was recently given an increase on one of my cc limits, which was suddenly withdrawn.

I have not posted this in the credit file forum, as I am aware that credit scoring is fairly meaningless, so I'm not bothered about the file per say, but I am now concerned about this consent order sitting on my credit file, and whether this is going to have an effect on future mortgage applications. I won't be looking for a few years, but that was the whole point of trying to get my credit file in good order (and of course to become debt free!).

Can anyone help?

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Gemsy81,

A consent order has to be agreed by both parties, and they can be complicated. We would recommend that people try and take legal advice before doing this. It is possible that if the terms of the consent order are breached that a CCJ can be entered, which could explain why a CCJ is now appearing on your credit file.

A CCJ will show for 6 years from the date of the order, unless paid in full within 1 month of the judgement date (or 28 days to be safe). Unfortunately, this can damage your credit history and ability to get credit over the next 6 years.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Gemsy81
    Gemsy81 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    We are still negotiating the repayment schedule for it. But the CCJ is dated as per the consent order, and I have not been informed of any CCJ?
  • Gemsy81
    Gemsy81 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Unfortunately, I had no choice regarding the consent order, as disputing it would have incurred even more costs :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure