Home insurance twice - and refunded!

Hi,
I hope I'm posting this correctly sorry if I'm not.

In 2012 I took out home and contents insurance with Barclays. In 2014 I took out home and contents insurance with legal and general.

For the past 4 years they have both been running because I neglected to check what I was doing and convinced myself one was for building and the other for contents. Realised my mistake today. Cancelled legal and general so this would be my final month and phoned Barclays to cancel them to so I could start fresh.

Asked Barclays to cancel asap and mentioned I had 2 policies......Darryl from Barclays then informs me I can get a refund for the past 4 YEARS!

£1348 will be put into my account in about 10 working days!
Thank you Darryl and thank you Barclays!

Is this usual for silly people like me to get refunds for our mistakes??
If I hadn't mentioned my error (and swallowed my embarrassment) I would have never known I could get the money back!
Thought I'd embarrass myself further by telling others my mistake in case you have done the same and could get money back.
Happy day :j

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,301 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Is this usual for silly people like me to get refunds for our mistakes??

Yes. And its surprisingly common. That is why the providers are able to solve it when dual insurance happens.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure