Confused about different childcare options

Hi, this is my first post. I've had a look through the forum but couldn't find a post that could answer all my questions.
Basically my wifes had our second child (now 4 months old) and shes looking at going back to work in november (16hours a week, on minimum wage). We are currently looking at several different nursaries.
My situations is that i'm in the marines (earning around 30k a year) but transferring over to the RAF in january.
My question is, what childcare benefit is best to apply for and can i apply with my wife being on maternity and not having made a decision on which nursary we are going for yet? Also will me tranfering from one service to another affect any claim i make?
I've read that there is a deadline for new applicants for the tax free childcare and again how would that affect me claiming that with my wife not going back to work until november...which is after the deadline.
Hope that makes sense and any help is appreciated as i am absolutley clueless at the minute.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Jimmy81mm wrote: »
    Hi, this is my first post. I've had a look through the forum but couldn't find a post that could answer all my questions.
    Basically my wifes had our second child (now 4 months old) and shes looking at going back to work in november (16hours a week, on minimum wage). We are currently looking at several different nursaries.
    My situations is that i'm in the marines (earning around 30k a year) but transferring over to the RAF in january.
    My question is, what childcare benefit is best to apply for and can i apply with my wife being on maternity and not having made a decision on which nursary we are going for yet? Also will me tranfering from one service to another affect any claim i make?
    I've read that there is a deadline for new applicants for the tax free childcare and again how would that affect me claiming that with my wife not going back to work until november...which is after the deadline.
    Hope that makes sense and any help is appreciated as i am absolutley clueless at the minute.
    Does your employer offer any schemes? That would be the first point of call
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport