Can I claim (Halifax Ultimate Reward Current account)

Options
Apologies if anyone has posted about something similar to this in the past however I couldn't find anything in this forum with a similar situation.

I've had an ultimate reward current account with Halifax for many years now, my statements online only go as far back as 7 years which is approx July 2011. The furthest back I can see that I've been paying the 'account fee' for the included insurances is 31st July 2011 but probably goes back further than that. I've used the mobile phone insurance maybe 3 times and the AA breakdown cover once during this whole time, never used the travel insurance or anything else which may included. I've recently found out about claiming a refund for these type of accounts and was wondering if anyone has any advice as I have part used some of the insurances included with the account. Does anyone think I'm entitled to anything?

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,500 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You're not entitled to anything no, but there's nothing stopping you complaining the account wasn't suitable in some way.
    As you said though, having used the benefits, you'll have a harder time showing this.
    Was this offered as an easy option overdraft or similar?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can complain about it though expect a swift rejection given you clearly benefited from the account. They are also entitled to deduct the cost of the payments from these benefits from any reward so if the phone insurance incidents were claims for lost/damaged phones for example then it could well mean you get nothing
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've used the mobile phone insurance maybe 3 times and the AA breakdown cover once during this whole time, never used the travel insurance or anything else which may included

So, it sounds like the account was suitable for you.
    I've recently found out about claiming a refund for these type of accounts and was wondering if anyone has any advice as I have part used some of the insurances included with the account. Does anyone think I'm entitled to anything?

Most complaints about packaged bank accounts fail. The people getting money back are those that were put on packaged bank accounts but were unsuitable for them. i.e. couldnt use any of the benefits so it was a waste of money paying for them. The concept of packaged bank accounts is not an issue at all. The FOS have confirmed they have no issue with PBAs.

You havent explained why you think a PBA is unsuitable for you. So, we cannot comment on that bit. You have used the benefits multiple times. Whilst this does not prevent a complaint, it does make it a lot harder. e..g you cant say you didnt know about it. Or that the benefits were of no use to you. If the bank did decide to uphold your complaint, it can deduct the market cost of the benefits you have used from the redress. Often leaving nothing left to pay you. They would also take you off the account and you would lose the benefits.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Dowsett18
    Options
    Thanks for your help I’ll probably leave it as I’ve used some of the features if this account
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Dowsett18 wrote: »
    I’ll probably leave it as I’ve used some of the features if this account
    Note that no one is telling you not to complain, only what the response is likely to be.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure