Housing Benefit Help

Options
My oh has been offered a job but it is only 20 hrs per week. I went onto entitled to and it said that we would be entitled to 29p per week housing benefit, can this be right? He would only be earning £100 per week before tax and our rent is £50 per week alone. Can anyone shed some light onto how you work out how much you would get? Thank you.

Sarahx

Comments

• msmicawber
    msmicawber Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Why not look at your local Council's web site and see if they have a Housing Benefits calculator, since that would give you a better indication of his eligibility.
    Debt at highest: £6,290.72 (14.2.1999)
    Debt free success date: 14.8.2006 :j
  • msmicawber
    msmicawber Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    P.S. I just used the entitledto calculator out of interest, and it gave me the wrong Housing Benefit figure. I'm in receipt of Housing Benefit already, and entitled to indicated I should be getting twice as much as I am. However, when I enter my details into my Council's web site HB calculator, it gave the same amount as I actually receive.
    Debt at highest: £6,290.72 (14.2.1999)
    Debt free success date: 14.8.2006 :j
  • Anthillmob
    Anthillmob Posts: 11,780 Forumite
    Options
    i wouldnt go by entitled to. put in a claim and ask if they can give you a rough estimation. they might be able to.
    There's someone in my head, but it's not me
  • Ross01
    Ross01 Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    There is no way that the calculation is correct. Trust me as an assessor "entitled to" is a complete joke.

As a couple over 18 (with no kids) your applicable amount is £90.10 a week. This is the amount of income you can have before losing any Housing Benefit. If you have children then the applicable amount will be even higher.

However the first £10.00 of your partners earnings will be disregarded in the Housing Benefit caculations, because he is working over 16 hours.

Therefore your counted earnings will be £90.00, which is less than your applicable amount so your eligible rent will paid in full.

The only thing which could affect this calculation is 1) If you are getting working or child tax credit - as obviously this also counts as income.

2) If you have savings over £6000. As once above £6000 any savings will start counting towards your weekly income. (Every £250 in savings or part thereof over £6000 counts as an extra pound in income). And having over 16,000 in savings excludes you completely from Housing Benefit.

3) Housing Benefit will not pay for any utilities (gas, electric, water) that are included in your rent.
  • Anthillmob
    Anthillmob Posts: 11,780 Forumite
    Options
    ross01 who do you asess for or if youd rather not say irgnore my post.

im one too
    There's someone in my head, but it's not me
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family