Feed In Tariff FIT for Solar PV Panels

geochr
geochr Posts: 11 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi, I have a query regarding the Feed-In Tariff for roof mounted solar panels (PV).

I purchased and moved into a newbuild house in January 2018. My house has solar panels on the roof. I have just heard about the FiT scheme (although I also heard it ends in 2019).

My electricity provider (Green Energy Network) does not subscribe to the FiT Scheme. If I wish to subscribe, must I change my provider to one which does subscribe to the scheme???. I heard (possibly incorrectly!!) that you can use any provider for the supply of electricity but the subscription of the FiT scheme can be with a different provider (albeit one which subscribes (ie the Big Six)).

Does anyone have any further info?

Thank you

Comments

• wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    geochr wrote: »
    Hi, I have a query regarding the Feed-In Tariff for roof mounted solar panels (PV).

I purchased and moved into a newbuild house in January 2018. My house has solar panels on the roof. I have just heard about the FiT scheme (although I also heard it ends in 2019).

My electricity provider (Green Energy Network) does not subscribe to the FiT Scheme. If I wish to subscribe, must I change my provider to one which does subscribe to the scheme???. I heard (possibly incorrectly!!) that you can use any provider for the supply of electricity but the subscription of the FiT scheme can be with a different provider (albeit one which subscribes (ie the Big Six)).

Thank you
    Switch energy provider

Ditch and switch energy provider and you can save £100s each year. Our Cheap Energy Club checks you're on the cheapest deal and if you're not tells you the best deal. Plus we'll keep monitoring your tariff and the market to ensure you're always on the cheapest deal. To encourage you, there's usually up to £25 extra if you switch gas and electricity via the club.

It's the same gas, the same electricity, the same safety. All that changes are the customer service and the price you pay. Normally, switch and you risk the provider hiking prices, or giving you a cheap deal for 12 months then ramping costs. So every month, without you doing anything, we do a comparison for you, and alert you when it's worth switching again.

Can you switch energy with solar panels?

Yes. You don't have to get your electricity supply and feed-in tariff from the same company. That means solar panel users can switch freely on Cheap Energy Club, just like everyone else. After switching, payments still come from the current feed-in tariff provider, so nothing changes.

If you want to switch to a different company that pays you the feed-in tariff, contact your feed-in provider to see if it's possible. Usually, if you want to get the payments from a different supplier, you'll have to switch energy to that company too. As feed-in payments are fixed and therefore the same across every provider, it may not be necessary.
    At the application stage, you can't choose a feed-in provider you want, you have to get the feed-in payments from your current energy supplier. A full list of feed-in tariff providers – or 'licensees' – is on Ofgem's website.

There are more ways to cut energy costs, such as always paying by direct debit, which shaves £75 off your annual bill.

For a full list of tips, see Cheap Gas and Electricity. If you're on Economy 7, you can slash costs even further by using storage heaters, washing machines and dishwashers through the night. See our Economy 7 guide for full info.
    Source: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/free-solar-panels/
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post

Thank you

In theory, you can register a generation contract with any supplier; however, most are not interested in the extra admin unless you are currently on supply. Once registered, supply and generation contracts are separate entities so you can switch your supply contract at will. Do you have all the required paperwork to register; for example, a MCS Certificate?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    As indicated above, you should have got a MCS certificate, from the builder or installer, for the solar system when you purchased the house. This certificate shows that both the system and house conform to the regulations required for registration and payment of FIT. As a new build your house should conform.

If you haven't, and they won't provide one, contact your solicitor.
  • geochr
    geochr Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you very much. Ive just been emailed a copy of the MCS certificate from the installer so I will now go ahead and apply. Thank you again for all the replies.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thank you very much. Ive just been emailed a copy of the MCS certificate from the installer so I will now go ahead and apply. Thank you again for all the replies.

Sorry to rain on your parade. The FIT payer may not accept a photocopy of a MCS Certificate. I had to send them the original certificate with the application form. The original certificate should have formed part of your handover pack along with such things as the electrical safety certificates. You will need both if you ever come to sell the property.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure