Playstation Classic

Options
Sony have announced the release of the Playstation Classic. A mini version of the console, with 20 pre-loaded games including Final Fantasy VII, Tekken 3, Ridge Racer Type 4, Wild Arms and Jumping Flash.

Release date is set for 3rd December and the RRP is £89.99

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/explore/playstation-classic/

Comments

• lebowski1980
    Options
    There is such a huge market for this at the moment but this kind of release is a tough one. I have a lot of nostalgia for the consoles i used when i was younger.
    Earlier this year i dug out my SNES and loaded it up and to be honest i just couldn't get over how dated it looked and then went to play the new Zelda on the switch. I ended up selling the console as I took up room and i got some decent money for it.

I do still have my gamecube and and wii but they are rarely played on.

The only exception to this is Wipeout 2097 which is one of the best games ever made and for this reason alone is why i still have an old playstation knocking about ;)
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Its a raspberry pi!

The classic playstation had a cd drive, unless theyre bringing back the mini disc this doesnt have anythign like it.

Ill stick with my psone. Although you'd probably spend about the new consoles price on trying to source an original copy of FF7.
  • chrisw99
    Options
    Having had PS1,2,3,4 over the last 25 years I'm really not sure about this latest addition to the family.

You can get a PS3 for cheaper than this - and then get most of those PS1 games as PSOne classics for £4 or so.

I can't figure out who the target audience for this would be.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    chrisw99 wrote: »
    Having had PS1,2,3,4 over the last 25 years I'm really not sure about this latest addition to the family.

You can get a PS3 for cheaper than this - and then get most of those PS1 games as PSOne classics for £4 or so.

I can't figure out who the target audience for this would be.

I guess they're hoping a similar market to the NES Mini/SNES Mini particularly given they've done pretty much exactly the same as those two. I did buy a SNES Mini as I loved that back in the day but found myself not really playing it that much even after modifying it to add a large number of games.
  • SofaChillReview
    Options
    These are the big thing which is for people to look back at old games

The N 64 is probably coming soon with Nintendo recently taking a patent out

Personally i watch old videos and play some of them, Streets of Rage is still golden for the Mega Drive for example

But otherwise it is a bit of a cash grab, some PS 1 games have aged pretty poorly in my opineon
  • Kinzey
    Kinzey Posts: 92 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The original would be probably be cheaper and you can buy which games you like for it rather than just play 20 games .
  • TubbyDown
    Options
    This hasn't reviewed very well at all! poorly manufactured, a terrible UI and the ports of the games themselves are poor!

Real shame as well, because there is such a market for these types of consoles! i'm hoping Nintendo hurry up and announce a N64 Mini!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure