cdkeys. beware!

Comments

• danze
    danze Posts: 22 Forumite
    That's fair, but I only stated they're definitely not authorized resellers which means regardless where they are buying from it's not directly from the publisher - the products COULD be purchased from the black market - only cdkeys.com know who their sources are, we just know it's not the publishers...

Again, the reviews are good and the codes will probably always work, but you're probably not helping people employed in the videogame industry. Post-purchase rationalization is a powerful thing - would you buy speakers from the back of a lorry?
    Debt free journey (Started Feb 2018)
    124,857.98 / 136,325.55
  • Lagamorph
    Lagamorph Posts: 44 Forumite
    cdkeys aren't a grey market site like G2A or Kinguin.

From what I understand a lot of the keys from cdkeys come from physical versions purchased from retailers in cheaper regions where the keys are also region free. Given the decline of physical sales of PC games though I do wonder how much longer that kind of business model can continue.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    danze wrote: »
    That's fair, but I only stated they're definitely not authorized resellers which means regardless where they are buying from it's not directly from the publisher - the products COULD be purchased from the black market - only cdkeys.com know who their sources are, we just know it's not the publishers...

Again, the reviews are good and the codes will probably always work, but you're probably not helping people employed in the videogame industry. Post-purchase rationalization is a powerful thing - would you buy speakers from the back of a lorry?

If they were being purchased from the black market, we definitely would have had many instances of the games being removed from peoples libraries - as happens with g2a and kinguin.

Please tell me why the gaming industry works on optimal pricing with geographical pricing discrimination if they're in such trouble? Not to mention that all mainstream games tend to have the same starting price point, with no regard for how much it actually cost to make or how long gameplay actually is. Don't get me started on the ones who launch a half-assed broken game - never mind doing so at full price.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • s0mojo
    s0mojo Posts: 10 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Been completely fine for all the games I've bought from them, no issues, no requests for extra identity checks, paying via PayPal, download, get key done for me
  • I bought PS4 currency with them last year and had no issues.

Although I should say that after I ordered I found a lot of reports of problems with them which made me nervous. Enough for me to not want to use them again.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 August 2018 at 1:20PM
    I bought PS4 currency with them last year and had no issues.

Although I should say that after I ordered I found a lot of reports of problems with them which made me nervous. Enough for me to not want to use them again.

Perfectly fine for me and others on hukd.

I admit there might be certain instances where things do go wrong.
  • I've never had any issues at all and have used them for years. I do make sure I redeem any codes from them immediately though, since I'm always paranoid that if I wait, the code might become invalid or get redeemed by someone else somehow!
  • 0sc4r
    0sc4r Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 6 February 2019 at 5:07PM
    I have read the post here and elsewhere regarding cdkeys.com and given my experience I can only conclude that those who posted they had no problems with the company had already given CDkeys their mobile number.

I attempted to purchase a game and they happily took my money(via paypal) but refused to give me what I had paid for unless I gave them my mobile number. They say "Phone verification is mandatory for first-time customers" suggesting that this is an additional security feature for their benefit and unless you throw away your security/data protection then they refuse to honour any purchases.

My purchase was for a virtual item and so they had zero reason to take my mobile and yet they insisted, against European data regulations, that without it then they would not give me what I had paid for.

The CDkeys website makes no referrence to these unreasonable requirement before purchase, only once they have your money does it become essential. CDkeys advertise items for sale in GBP and Euros suggesting they are compliant until they have your money then they want yet more personal information. So the question becomes why do they want a mobile number so much that they would refuse to complete the transaction and force a cancellation without it? are they selling it on like it has been suggested here they do with the keys for sale

I personally never pass my mobile to anyone who I have not met face to face and suggest that the reason I receive zero mobile spam is due to the this.

I would be interested to know if those that were happy with CDkeys are like myself SPAM free or just ignorant of where their spammers obtained the mobile number from.

I contacted PayPal and they confirmed that this company had already been flagged and yet they did not make me aware of this until I called them. It would have been nice to know that PP were protecting my interests by atleast showing that other people has issues with CDkeys when I tried to deal with them but it was not to be.

I am sure some might disagree with the idea that mobile spam is bad and that protecting your personal information prevents fraud and the associated cost to everyone else but I personally cannot see how you can be a money saving expert without it.
  • Old thread.
    I have used cdkeys many times, All they have is email address.
    I think most people that have problems have used a different email address for cdkeys than the one linked with paypal which then needs verifying.
  • That's so bad! It's already really hard trusting these types of sites, but CDKeys is the one everyone always recommends! So if even the best trusted one is untrustworthy, what are we even supposed to do?

Thanks for your post. I will keep it in mind next time I buy a code.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure