Club Lloyds and BOS dropping rates to 1.5% on 1st July

Options

Comments

• hoc
    hoc Posts: 557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    So letters within the next 2 weeks then. So much for Carney's expectations banks would pass on the rate hike.

I need to keep my Lloyds account but will reduce the balance down. BOS was going to be a struggle with having to find 6 new DDs, at these rates I can't be bothered and will switch them away. I imagine BOS will take a much greater hit than Lloyds.
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ceredigion wrote: »
    I think this will start a race to the bottom in relation to the rates being offered.
    It's hardly the start as it has been going on for years now. It's the government's fault for giving them so much almost free credit so that they don't need our money anymore. If it wasn't for this 'funding for lending' then the much maligned suggestion of targeting a mass cash withdrawal from a single bank would probably have given them the willies to think of the savers for once instead of bigger profits and undeserved bonuses.
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options

With interest rates going up, Lloyds' reductions seem perverse.
    I think you'll find that matching the boe's rate rises only applies to loan and mortgage rates. They got to keep increasing their margins.
  • vixen1500
    vixen1500 Posts: 644 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 April 2018 at 9:58AM
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    I'll be moving the £15K from my BOS accounts into the Nationwide Loyalty ISA @ 1.4%. May be also the Club Lloyds.

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking

PLUS frees up DDs to cover 2 Co-op and 2 Barclays and 3 Halifax

Shame they didn't say earlier, back to rearranging DDs - what fun:rotfl:
    Typically confused and asking for advice
  • vixen1500
    vixen1500 Posts: 644 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 April 2018 at 9:49AM
    Options
    I'll have to dust off my standing order to my NatWest Savings Builder. Although it only needs £50pm now

We have 2 single accounts, might be worth getting a joint one aswell
    Typically confused and asking for advice
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    I'm going to close mine - when it was offering 4% just over a year ago it was worth it, but with the drop to 2% and now 1.5% I am going to close it - this is also coupled with the branch closure announcements - my local branch is being closed. While I could use the local post office if not in a hurry, it's easily possible to spend 20 minutes queuing there behind folks sending multiple parcels, or applying for licences etc, something I'm not prepared to do.
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hmm.
    Was about to open a new one from Santander so possibly isn't worth it anymore. That's a shame.

I guess there's always Barclays Blue account...
  • supremetwo
    Options
    The issue with all these offers perhaps lies in the MSE instructions re. automation from one account to another.

When so many are doing this, the banks will not be making the profit on these accounts that they have predicted.

The same can be said for best buy tables.

As soon as a provider puts its head above the parapet, it will be inundated. Ulster bank is a recent example.
  • Richchad
    Richchad Posts: 534 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bank of England saying interest rates could rise next month...

So these greedy banks all of a sudden drop their rates in time to raise them when BOE rate increases saying look we have increased the rate in line with BOE rate rise :mad:

This rate drop just confirms my earlier decision to close our 10 BOS accounts and 2 of our Lloyds accounts and invest elsewhere.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Richchad wrote: »
    Bank of England saying interest rates could rise next month...

So these greedy banks all of a sudden drop their rates in time to raise them when BOE rate increases saying look we have increased the rate in line with BOE rate rise :mad:

This rate drop just confirms my earlier decision to close our 10 BOS accounts and 2 of our Lloyds accounts and invest elsewhere.
    So you had at least twelve accounts with the same banking group, presumably to exploit the opportunity to maximise interest earnings, but it's the banks that are greedy?!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure