What can I claim

After 10 yrs in France we are returning to UK for family reasons.
We were totally up to date with N/I before we left but ceased to pay voluntary contributions.
I still have a copy of the E106 that was issued to us as this was proof we had paid all N/I.
We have managed to buy a house and have approx 5000 as back up until we can find jobs.
My husband was S/E before we left but we will all ask for JSA as he will look for a job.
My son who is now 18 needs a N/I number.
I will go directly to the job centre once we are back in UK but need to know what else we need to do to qualify for benefits to help for the short term.
We will not need housing benefit.
My younger child will need a school place, a year 10 which I am having difficulty getting as they will not do anything until we are back...
Please advise what help we will get as we are hoping it will only be shortterm.

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Benefits are calculated on the last 2 full tax years of NI so your NI up to date 10 years ago is irrelevant I'm afraid.

I would ask at the JC when you go there as to what you can claim.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • We must be entitled to some help and what about my son, what do the youngsters leaving school get as they would never have paid N/I ??

I can not see we will be left hung and dry and I have managed to keep £5000 to keep us afloat for the immediate......

Thanks for your quick reply.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    You may be able to claim income support,

Maybe you could google something on the .gov website.

Or wait for more responses on here after people have got in from work and may be able to help more than I can.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,330 Forumite
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ni/intro/number.htm

This is what N Yorkshire has to say on the subject of schools http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=16682- what does the LA in the area where you will live have on its website?

It might be easiest all round if you wait until you have moved in, registered for council tax, registered with a doctor etc before you start down the benefits trail - your savings will keep you going initially?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,541 Forumite
    have a look for "habitual residence test" this will be the first step to get through to be considered for any benefits

even though you are British you will need to go through this
  • Thanks, can not see that being a problem as we will be trying to get a school place for my daughter, sold our french house which has bought our UK house....

Shall take a look, thanks again.
  • CAB_Birmingham_representative
    CAB_Birmingham_representative Posts: 89 Organisation Representative
    Juicyjuicy wrote: »
    After 10 yrs in France we are returning to UK for family reasons.
    We were totally up to date with N/I before we left but ceased to pay voluntary contributions.
    I still have a copy of the E106 that was issued to us as this was proof we had paid all N/I.
    We have managed to buy a house and have approx 5000 as back up until we can find jobs.
    My husband was S/E before we left but we will all ask for JSA as he will look for a job.
    My son who is now 18 needs a N/I number.
    I will go directly to the job centre once we are back in UK but need to know what else we need to do to qualify for benefits to help for the short term.
    We will not need housing benefit.
    My younger child will need a school place, a year 10 which I am having difficulty getting as they will not do anything until we are back...
    Please advise what help we will get as we are hoping it will only be shortterm.

Dear Juicyjuicy,

Firstly, may we apologise for the delay in responding back to you.
    Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) has both a contribution-based and an income-based element. If you have paid enough Class 1 National Insurance you will get contribution-based JSA as long as you are available and actively seeking work.

If you do not qualify for contribution-based JSA, you may qualify for income-based JSA. Income-based JSA is normally only payable to jobseekers who have a right to reside and are habitually resident in the UK.

In regards to returning back to the UK after spending 10 years in France, you may need to go through a habitual residence test as you will be looking for work and intending to claim benefits. It may be that you are exempt however; the Job Centre should be able to assist you with this. For further information on HRT’s please look at the following link:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/benefits_coming_from_abroad_and_claiming_benefits_hrt/benefits_eea_nationals_and_the_habitual_residence_test/eea_nationals_jobseekers_and_the_hrt.htm

Did you claim Child Benefit for your son when you previously resided in the UK? If so then your son’s details should still be on record. You will need to contact the National Insurance Registrations Helpline on 0845 915 7006 and they will be able to search the system for you.

If you have never claimed Child Benefit, your son will need to contact the National Insurance Allocation helpline on 0845 6000 643 where he will be assisted further.

If you have any issues with claiming benefits on your return, please contact your local CAB and we will endeavor to assist you further.

Kind regards,
    Birmingham CAB
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure