tax credits stopped

hello.
Back in June i was asked to send documents to Belfast for a compliance check. I had to send a lot of stuff -job contracts,tv licence,car ins payslips and my renewal paperwork for my tax credits claim. I did this and didn't hear anything back from them. Then the tax credits office wrote to me and told me as I hadn't sent THEM the renewals pack they had stopped my claim. This was stopped on 18th aug.
I finally managed to get hold of somone after they had my documents for nearly 2mths (belfast never returned my calls) who had my documents and had checked my claim-all fine just a small decrease on childcare. He said this would be relayed to tax credits office and payments should restart and i could claim back all weeks that were missed. After hearing nothing I contacted tax credits again they said they claim had been restored and it would take 5 weeks to restart!
I was devastated as am really struggling for money but duly waited 5 weeks. When I called last week as had heard nothing again ,the tax credits office said my claim had got stuck and referrred me to head office-someone would ring the next day.They did but only to tell me someone else would ring me within 5 days which they haven't. Through all of this I keep getting letters saying they want repayment of £3000 that was paid to me from april-aug this year.
I want to know what to do next.Should I put in a fresh claim and then try to reclaim the money I am due afterwards or try to wait to get original claim restarted. I am worried if i speak to them again they will just refer me on to head office again and I will get nowhere again.
I work 32hrs per week earn £1200pm pay £30 childcare each week for my 2 children. (on a benefits calculator it works out I would get the tax credits I was receiving before they were stopped)I am absolutely at my wits end and am getting increasingly in debt as wages and CB do not cover outgoings
The original fault is not mine as I was asked to send docs to Belfast and not to preston.I wish I had not believed them at every step that it was being sorted and restarted.
Any thoughts? thanks MG

Comments

• CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    edited 15 October 2012 at 2:35PM
    hello.
    Back in June i was asked to send documents to Belfast for a compliance check. I had to send a lot of stuff -job contracts,tv licence,car ins payslips and my renewal paperwork for my tax credits claim. I did this and didn't hear anything back from them. Then the tax credits office wrote to me and told me as I hadn't sent THEM the renewals pack they had stopped my claim. This was stopped on 18th aug.
    I finally managed to get hold of somone after they had my documents for nearly 2mths (belfast never returned my calls) who had my documents and had checked my claim-all fine just a small decrease on childcare. He said this would be relayed to tax credits office and payments should restart and i could claim back all weeks that were missed. After hearing nothing I contacted tax credits again they said they claim had been restored and it would take 5 weeks to restart!
    I was devastated as am really struggling for money but duly waited 5 weeks. When I called last week as had heard nothing again ,the tax credits office said my claim had got stuck and referrred me to head office-someone would ring the next day.They did but only to tell me someone else would ring me within 5 days which they haven't. Through all of this I keep getting letters saying they want repayment of £3000 that was paid to me from april-aug this year.
    I want to know what to do next.Should I put in a fresh claim and then try to reclaim the money I am due afterwards or try to wait to get original claim restarted. I am worried if i speak to them again they will just refer me on to head office again and I will get nowhere again.
    I work 32hrs per week earn £1200pm pay £30 childcare each week for my 2 children. (on a benefits calculator it works out I would get the tax credits I was receiving before they were stopped)I am absolutely at my wits end and am getting increasingly in debt as wages and CB do not cover outgoings
    The original fault is not mine as I was asked to send docs to Belfast and not to preston.I wish I had not believed them at every step that it was being sorted and restarted.
    Any thoughts? thanks MG

Hi MG - we'd strongly recommend that you get in touch with your local bureau to get advice and support on this. It's not clear whether you live in England or Northern Ireland. For England, use the England & Wales bureau directory. For Northern Ireland, use the N. Ireland bureau directory which is available on the homepage of the NIACAB website.

And we'd suggest having all the paperwork to hand, both when you phone and especially if you arrange to go and see them.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure