Bankrupt - the only option? Advice Please

Options
I am in a little bit of a tight spot at the mo, so any advice would be gratefully appreciated.....

Here goes:

My partner has been suffering with varying levels of depression over the last 3 years or so... as a result our household income has been yo-yoing - this all came to head recently -we tried for an IVA - this was rejected by my largest shareholding creditor as they thought they would get a better return with a private agreement with me.

Since the IVA was rejected the relationship between my partner and I has taken a nose dive resulting in us mutually agreeing to separate (We had been together for 20 years plus)

As it stands now, I live in private rented accommodation with my two sons and left with total unsecured debt of just over £60K of which only £3600 is joint -the rest is in my name only.

I have read numerous things about the pro's and cons of going bankrupt - but am still unsure... personally I couldn't care if the house was stripped bare to get me out of this financial hole - but I am worried about the effect on the kids - My eldest is doing "A" Levels and I am concerned as he uses the internet for study - does anybody know what would be acceptable and therefore not touched by the OR. Both my kids have basic homebuilt PC's and games consoles in their rooms how do you explain to a 9 and 17 year old that they may lose the "stuff" from their rooms?

So far I have received little correspondence from my creditors - I think this is because they have only just been informed by the IVA Company that the IVA won't happen.

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Cheers

Normers

Comments

• macsacel
    macsacel Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    The Official Receiver wouldn't touch your kids stuff, they'd be unaffected.

Do you own a property jointly with your ex? If you do they would go after any equity that was in it, regardless of the debt being in your name.

Bankruptcy isn't the panacea that many on here make it out to be, the repercussions stay with you for some time. But if you don't have any assets and you can convince the OR that your debts were incurred by bad management rather than deceit, then you'll be fine.
  • shameless-about-money
    Options
    In bankruptcy you won't lose your personal effects, your internet connection, or your children's computers.

It sounds to me as if bankruptcy would be the best way to go for you.

Have you taken professional advice from the CAB, Myvesta or CCCS?
  • shameless-about-money
    Options
    macsacel wrote: »
    The Official Receiver wouldn't touch your kids stuff, they'd be unaffected.

Do you own a property jointly with your ex? If you do they would go after any equity that was in it, regardless of the debt being in your name.

Bankruptcy isn't the panacea that many on here make it out to be, the repercussions stay with you for some time. But if you don't have any assets and you can convince the OR that your debts were incurred by bad management rather than deceit, then you'll be fine.

You don't have to prove "bad management" to the OR . Most people don't deceive in bankruptcy!
  • normers
    normers Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    I have tried my local CAB - but always seem to get a recorded message - would anybody know which of the other two orgnizations listed - would be approaching - are they free ! (Myvesta or CCCS)
  • gettingitsorted
    Options
    Hi normers this is the links to payplan and the cccs they are both free!!!!

https://www.cccs.co.uk

https://www.payplan.com
    Official DFW NERD 189

I may be a woman but dont hold it against me:D

Officially declared Br 6/11/06

Discharged Br 4/5/07 (6 months to the day)

BCSC MEMBER 21
  • macsacel
    macsacel Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    You don't have to prove "bad management" to the OR . Most people don't deceive in bankruptcy!

I know, I'm an ex bankrupt myself, made so by the Inland Revenue because I spent my tax money on alcohol and drugs. I was merely pointing out the facts.
  • shameless-about-money
    Options
    normers wrote: »
    I have tried my local CAB - but always seem to get a recorded message - would anybody know which of the other two orgnizations listed - would be approaching - are they free ! (Myvesta or CCCS)

Myvesta is a not-for-profit free organisation!
  • normers
    normers Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone any opinions on if it is easy to declare yourself bankrupt. Or anyone any first hand experience of the Myvesta Bankruptcy Assistance Service and is it worth £99 ?
  • gettingitsorted
    Options
    Normers

bankruptcy is never an easy option

please contact one of the non fee charging orgs i posted for you before
    Official DFW NERD 189

I may be a woman but dont hold it against me:D

Officially declared Br 6/11/06

Discharged Br 4/5/07 (6 months to the day)

BCSC MEMBER 21
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport