Advice please

Options
Hi

I recently sent a PPI reclaim letter to Halifax for my dad. He has a credit card with them however it had PPI on it that he wasn't aware of. My dad has always been self employed therefore the claim should be straight forward.
Today he received a letter saying that all the PPI he claimed plus the interest will be refunded but will go towards the arrears on his card. Can the Halifax do this or can he request to have the PPI he has paid sent to him in a cheque? This claim should be worth £2000+ and my dad needs to pay his tax bill so would prefer to use the money for this.

Can we send a letter to say that we think this is unfair? He has always paid on time and has never had a problem with his credit agreement with Halifax.

Ta xxxxxxxx:money::money::money::money:

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    mojoparrot wrote: »
    Hi

I recently sent a PPI reclaim letter to Halifax for my dad. He has a credit card with them however it had PPI on it that he wasn't aware of. My dad has always been self employed therefore the claim should be straight forward.
    Today he received a letter saying that all the PPI he claimed plus the interest will be refunded but will go towards the arrears on his card. Can the Halifax do this or can he request to have the PPI he has paid sent to him in a cheque? This claim should be worth £2000+ and my dad needs to pay his tax bill so would prefer to use the money for this.

Can we send a letter to say that we think this is unfair? He has always paid on time and has never had a problem with his credit agreement with Halifax.

Ta xxxxxxxx:money::money::money::money:

Hi there

Well done on your success.:beer:

Unfortunately if there are arrears - missed payments, they are able to do it this way, check here for more info in regards of the FOS calculations on how they do this:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1596473

This above link was posted on the site by Maxdp.

Hope this helps, and again well done.:T
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • mojoparrot
    mojoparrot Posts: 181 Forumite
    Options
    Hi thanks Max
    He dosn't have any missed payments etc they want to use the money to reduce the balance
    xxx
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    mojoparrot wrote: »
    Hi thanks Max
    He dosn't have any missed payments etc they want to use the money to reduce the balance
    xxx

Hi Mojoparrot

This does seem unfair then if there were no arrears, so its because he still has an active account as it seems.

You could write to them to request if they can do it this way, hope they do this in favour for your dad, fingers crossed, please let us know the outcome of this.;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • mojoparrot
    mojoparrot Posts: 181 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks we will do!!:beer::beer::beer:
  • melorablack
    melorablack Posts: 1,114 Forumite
    Options
    Is he over his credit limit? The only reason they would use the refund to reduce the balance is to clear the arrears (above the credit limit), any surplus will then be paid by cheque to your father.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure