Tax Credits suspended - anyone know what that means?

Options
Hi

My tax credits were not paid into my account today, so I phoned them to ask what had happened.

The lady on the other end said that there was a note on my file to say that my tax credits were suspended on 13th January (after my last payment), but there was a note that this would be reviewed on the 20th Jan. She said that she had never seen this before and asked her manager who also said that he had not seen this before.

She promised to ring me on Friday after the review date.

Just wondered if anyone else has had this happen. Can't see any reason why it should - none of my details have changed and I do not believe I have been overpaid. I have received no communication from them since I completed my annual review in April.

Hope someone can help

Comments

• Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had mine suspended but then reinstated. Don't know why but they had made some error as my circumstances hadn't changed. Keep on at them until you sort it out!
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • foreversummer
    Options
    Thanks Fran.

It is reassuring to know that I am not alone.

Do you mind me asking how long they took to sort it out for you? I'm supposed to get a phone call tomorrow. I'll post again then.
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It was sorted out within a week.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • foreversummer
    Options
    Got my phone call today from Tax Credits as promised!

Apparently, according to their system my weekly payments have been being paid to me twice. I have assured them that they certainly have not!

Therefore my credits have been suspended until Head Office have worked out what is going on. In the meantime, apparently, I may have to be paid manually four weekly in arrears. I've told them that I am not happy with the four weekly in arrears arrangement - also it sounds that it may take a while to sort.

Do you suppose the onus will be on me to prove that I have not been being paid twice? Has anyone ever had to do that? I'm hoping that they keep independant records of what they've paid out other than just on my file. I know I have the bank statements to prove what I have had but what a fag.

I'll keep you posted.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,023 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well I don't know how it works, but maybe they could tell you what account numbers the money's gone into? They can't give you the sort code as well because that would be too 'dangerous', and maybe they can't even give you the account numbers - data protection etc. But they can surely ask the banks they're paying to confirm the name and address of the account holder?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Combat_Shopper
    Options
    Just keep at them AND keep a record of everything you send/phonecalls.

My account has been 'stalled' since Sep '04 (the Tax Credit Office used the phrase terminated). I have just written them a formal complaint after months of letters and phone calls, sending it to The Director at Preston. The results have been impressive - they have admitted making mistakes and have sent me a cheque for compensation (my time wasted, phone calls, post etc) for around £50. They have not managed to start payments again yet but it is a start.

Remember - a polite letter entitled Formal Complaint has much more impact than a good rant (and I think legally they are bound to act far quicker). Good luck
    CS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport