How strict is the Ryanair cabin policy from Bristol?

Options
We haven't used Ryanair before so I packed my usual medium sized rucksack as hand luggage, then got the tape measure out, yowza! This 35 by 20 cm requirement is tiny! I don't have a separate handbag, in fact I'm not taking a handbag at all. Has anyone travelled from Bristol with RA and can you tell me how stricktly its enforced please? I can understand why these mini-suitcases aren't allowed on but my rucksack will definitely go under the seat in front of me.

Comments

• MiraculousM
    Options
    Unfortunately, if you are going on a ryanair flight, you have to go by the rules and have your bag fit the measurements. There is ALWAYS a chance, on any airline, that they are going to check so the best thing to do is make sure you are within the limits.
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You’ve got a rucksack the size of a small suitcase?!

Ryanair’s carry on dimensions are broadly in line with other airlines

I wouldn’t worry whether it will fit under the seat in front, if you don’t have priority boarding it’s gonna get tagged at the gate and go in the hold
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Christabel wrote: »
    my rucksack will definitely go under the seat in front of me.
    If you are so sure, you are probably ok, but if they are measuring with the frame you may be asked to fit your bag into it to be able to take it onboard.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Christabel
    Options
    Er, no, I don't have a rucksack the size of a small suitcase, I'm just saying that those wheelie cases that are normally allowed in the cabin lockers are really too big.

But thanks everyone for your responses :)
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Christabel wrote: »
    Er, no, I don't have a rucksack the size of a small suitcase, I'm just saying that those wheelie cases that are normally allowed in the cabin lockers are really too big.

But thanks everyone for your responses :)

Sorry I read it that you were using your rucksack as your carry on luggage and misread the dimensions (I still use imperial)
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I thought the 35x20 was the max size for the 2nd bag not the wheely case size
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    stoneman wrote: »
    Sorry I read it that you were using your rucksack as your carry on luggage and misread the dimensions (I still use imperial)

He is isn't he?
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    stoneman wrote: »
    Ryanair’s carry on dimensions are broadly in line with other airlines
    Only in as far as the allow the standard 55x40x20 size but if you don't pay for priority boarding, they will take it and put it in the hold, so you won't get to carry it on. For free, but it will be in the hold.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Christabel
    Options
    Thanks all, I'll let you know how I get on.
  • Christabel
    Options
    Well, we flew out of Bristol this morning with Ryanair with our rucksacks safely stowed under the seats in front of us. No-one from Ryanair even glanced at them when we turned up at the departure gate and they were both considerably larger than 35 x 20cm. Thank goodness. So we’ve just got to repeat it on our return and we’re home and dry. Thanks for all your input.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure