Any help available ? and a question about death certificate

Toomuchdebt
Toomuchdebt Posts: 2,128 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 22 September 2018 at 9:53PM in Deaths, funerals & probate
My ex partner died in April. We had 2 children together. We weren't living together and hadn't been since 2011. Am I right in thinking there's no kind of benefit I can claim for the children? (They're 8 and 9).

The coroner issued a temporary death certificate back in April but there had to be an inquest as it was a suspected suicide. I have now received a letter saying the inquest is complete and I will receive a report and that the proper death certificate is now available but I have to pay £4 for each copy. Can anyone explain to me why I need to pay? (I will be calling the coroner on Monday)

Thirdly we're kind of struggling with the drop in child maintenance...does anyone know of any grants or loans that I can possibly access for things like a new bed and wardrobe for my son. I just had to buy a new washing machine and I can't afford anything else on top of that.

Edited to add we were never married but he is on the birth certificates as the father
Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34 :eek:

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs

Comments

• Did he have any private/occupational pension benefits that could be paid to the children?
  • Yes-we got a cheque for £32 from a pension scheme as that was all it was worth. I believe it was a new one.He was living with someone else(no children) so I have no idea of any other pension schemes he may have had, or how to find out. He had a habit of using my address for correspondence but obviously this would only apply to any new post. Any old accounts etc I presume wouldn't even be contacting him.
    Edited to add I don't know this other woman or have her contact details other than her address, and have no desire to speak to her.

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm sorry you are having such a horrible time.

This should give you hope (and I trust help): https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/unmarried-mother-wins-supreme-court-battle-to-receive-widowed-parents-benefit-a3923781.html

Have a word with turn2us.org.uk who will be well aware of the above ruling, and will also be able to give you advice on whether there are any other grants and so on available.

Worth having a look at your local Freecycle group to see if anyone is offering things which might be of use: https://www.freecycle.org/browse/UK. The quality of stuff varies depending on where you live and who is doing the offering, but as it is all free, it may help to tide you over.

Why do you have to pay for death certificates? Because everyone has to, I'm afraid.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Yes-we got a cheque for £32 from a pension scheme as that was all it was worth. I believe it was a new one.He was living with someone else(no children) so I have no idea of any other pension schemes he may have had, or how to find out. He had a habit of using my address for correspondence but obviously this would only apply to any new post. Any old accounts etc I presume wouldn't even be contacting him.
    Edited to add I don't know this other woman or have her contact details other than her address, and have no desire to speak to her.

Was he in employment at the time of his death? If so, and you know the address of the employer, write and ask if there were any death in service benefits (these would usually be in addition to any pension arrangement which might exist), making it clear that he has children and is named on their birth certificates.
  • Brynsam wrote: »
    I'm sorry you are having such a horrible time.

This should give you hope (and I trust help): https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/unmarried-mother-wins-supreme-court-battle-to-receive-widowed-parents-benefit-a3923781.html

Have a word with turn2us.org.uk who will be well aware of the above ruling, and will also be able to give you advice on whether there are any other grants and so on available.

Worth having a look at your local Freecycle group to see if anyone is offering things which might be of use: https://www.freecycle.org/browse/UK. The quality of stuff varies depending on where you live and who is doing the offering, but as it is all free, it may help to tide you over.

Why do you have to pay for death certificates? Because everyone has to, I'm afraid.

Thank you. I wasn't aware death certificates had to be paid for as the interim ones were given to me free. It may only be £4 per certificate but it adds up.

The problem I have with freecycle (Freegle where I live) is I don't have a car big enough to transport anything. I have seen a few things in the past but couldn't get any help with getting them to my house.

I'll take a look at that link thank you.

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • Thank you. I wasn't aware death certificates had to be paid for as the interim ones were given to me free. It may only be £4 per certificate but it adds up.

The problem I have with freecycle (Freegle where I live) is I don't have a car big enough to transport anything. I have seen a few things in the past but couldn't get any help with getting them to my house.

I'll take a look at that link thank you.

Don't skimp on the number of copies you think you may need. If you have to go back later for more copies they will be at least £9 each.

ADD: Just googled it, and it's currently £9.25.
  • Hang on. why are you going to need numerous copies of the death certificate right now?

I presume you won't be dealing with anything unless it concerns the children?.

Just get one for now you can get any additional copies at any time, but if you do have one don't let it out of your sight in case it gets mislaid.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • Did he have any assets of his own, e.g. car, home, savings. etc. as these would (in the absence of a Will) be potential inheritances for your children?
  • Thank you. I wasn't aware death certificates had to be paid for as the interim ones were given to me free. It may only be £4 per certificate but it adds up.

u.

I suspect what you were initially given was the interim equivalent of the MCCD (medical certificate of the cause of death) which is free and usually written by the doctor who cared for the patient, the MCCD is then taken to the registrar.

The interim certificate is needed to enable a funeral to take place etc and is issued by the coroner - but you have had to wait until the inquest to get the MCCD - at this point the death will then have been registered formally by the coroner.

once you get to the registrar for the official "death certificate" there is a charge which.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Are you the executor for his estate? Did he leave a will?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure