Woodford Concerns

Options

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Prism wrote: »
    I agree with most of what you say except for this bit. I don't think it matters at all about making a gain each year (calendar year, tax year, rolling 12 months?) for everybody. I you are looking to withdraw income or capital then its more important, but for those investing for their future it should have no real bearing. Only the long term results should matter. I mean, don't get me wrong, you can learn a lot during the difficult times but I wouldn't let a single year get in the way of my goals.

By gain I should add that includes reinvested income and may well be below the rate of inflation on occcasions. With a diversified portfolio correlation between assets held shouldn't be an issue. Well might not be a top performer but consistantly grinding out a positive return is a usefull objective to have.

Far too easy to get sucked into a rising market of some kind or another without looking at the underlying fundamentals.
  • green_man
    green_man Posts: 531 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Of course you could sell and then a couple of his unlisted companies start to fly and what a fool you will look! Many people have made lots of money by investing where others fear to tread (and many have lost their hats).
  • cogito
    cogito Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Options
    green_man wrote: »
    Of course you could sell and then a couple of his unlisted companies start to fly and what a fool you will look! Many people have made lots of money by investing where others fear to tread (and many have lost their hats).

But Equity Income funds aren’t supposed to hold start up businesses which haven’t got profits to pay dividends.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 24 May 2019 at 7:32AM
    Options
    Aminatidi wrote: »
    I'm of the view that I like to have some idea what I'm investing in.

Looking at what Woodford Equity Income holds I haven't heard of most of it.

There are tens of thousands of listed and unlisted companies in the world, and thousands in the UK. Unless you have a particular hobby or day job that would bring you into contact with most of them, there's no reason to have heard of most of them.

Sure, an investment into an actively managed fund may not have you end up with your money in all of the 'usual suspects' which dominate the market indexes dut to their size. But that's the whole point of investing into a conviction-driven actively managed fund where you pay a fee for the manager to seek out investment opportunities and build a portfolio with long term prospects whose company and industry mix diverges from the market index.

Back in 1999 there were people avoiding Woodford because he didn't invest in all the standard no-brainer stuff they had heard of. Why isn't he heavy in BT like the index and his peers? Doesn't this dummy know that telecoms is the future, the world is getting ever more connected?!

In 2007, why isn't he buying all these banks that pay reliable high dividends, like Lloyds and RBS and B&B? I understand they are sensible things to hold, and everyone else with his type of fund is doing it. I would understand that approach, but I just don't get what this guy is trying to achieve and why his investors are ok getting lower returns than a simple index right now?!

In 2018, why is he holding this smallcap biotech firm which hasn't yet had its stage 2 trials in its leading product? Doesn't he know I want bread today not jam tomorrow?! What's the point of him owning sterling preference shares issued by a Guernsey- domiciled property group that owns warehouses outside Moscow? Why not buy something I've heard of instead with lower yield, like a consumer goods conglomerate which sells into emerging markets? None of his peers are worried about the risks there, and I want something I understand, by which I mean I want something that everyone else is buying to make sure they keep up with a cap weighted high yield index!

Frankly I can see why his approach doesn't suit all investors but I don't think a couple of bad years implies his choices are irrational or his strategy is doomed. His major issue is having too much illiquid stuff in a period of heavy redemptions, causing potential problems in terms of asset mix, which if people are concerned about and pull their money out could become a self-fulfilling prophecy. But simply holding a proportion of unlisted assets is not a terrible approach as long as you have advertised to investors that your strategy might (or definitely will) incorporate that.
    cogito wrote: »
    But Equity Income funds aren’t supposed to hold start up businesses which haven’t got profits to pay dividends.
    If you are running an equity income fund, one choice is to invest only in things that yield 3-4%. Another is to hold some things that yield 4% and some that yield 6% and some thing that yields 0% now but is available cheaply now and could grow to be a quality income-generating asset if your investment thesis holds out.

When he was back at Invesco he generally had a chunk of off-piste investments but nobody complained when they came good, boosting the returns from the mainstream stuff. And if they weren't in the top 10 holdings on a factsheet, nobody cared so much, other than expressing self-righteous indignation when they later learned he had done it and were embarrassed they hadn't thought to ask him about it earlier.
  • jamei305
    jamei305 Posts: 635 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't know how easy it would be to do, but surely it would make sense for the fund to be converted into an investment trust. That way the sentiment would be reflected in the price instead of forcing him to change the proportion of listed companies so drastically.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    jamei305 wrote: »
    I don't know how easy it would be to do, but surely it would make sense for the fund to be converted into an investment trust. That way the sentiment would be reflected in the price instead of forcing him to change the proportion of listed companies so drastically.

If it had been an investment trust Hargreaves Lansdown wouldn't have got 0.45% per year comm (except for investors holding less than 10 grand in listed shares, including ITs). Therefore he wouldn't have got all that free marketing. Simple as that.
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »
    There is no chance of the fund falling to zero

Yes there is; I can vouch from personal experience unfortunately!

Edinburgh New Tiger Trust continually crashed, then morphed into some kind of 'high yield' split cap fund, then went bust. I lost it all.
  • Moe_The_Bartender
    Moe_The_Bartender Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 May 2019 at 6:43PM
    Options
    I'm curious to know which other UK Equity Income funds invest in companies as risky as those chosen by Woodford. I've looked but can't find any.

I doubt that he took these kinds of risks when with Invesco. Hie bosses wouldn't have let him. Even his successor who can usually be counted on to follow whatever his former mentor did hasn't been allowed to do so to the same extent. He has less than 5% in unquoted stocks and I haven't checked but I'm willing bet that most of them are the same as Woodford.
    The fascists of the future will call themselves anti-fascists.
  • Seabee42
    Seabee42 Posts: 448 Forumite
    Options
    I think that says a lot about the opportunity set for UK listed companies.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Yes there is; I can vouch from personal experience unfortunately!

Edinburgh New Tiger Trust continually crashed, then morphed into some kind of 'high yield' split cap fund, then went bust. I lost it all.

That was an investment trust. This is an OEIC, which can't use gearing.

Geared funds can fall to zero even if some of their shares are still valuable if they can't pay their debts. OEICs can't have debts so the only way they can fall to zero is if every single share does, which isn't a realistic possibility.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback