• nikkas
    Options
    I might just ring them up and ask why!
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    nikkas wrote: »

I'd love to know the criteria for the EE coverage and if other people have experienced simialr 'rejection' :(?

No EE service in your exchange is the usual .
    Check your exchange via .

https://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

PS Plusnet are a BT owned company and BT may be buying EE .
  • bullshot
    bullshot Posts: 4,028 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Saw the advert re free Unlimited Sky Broadband for 12 months and then £7.50 , decided to ask BT why I should stay with them paying £14.50 the Broadband.Also told them unlimited anytime calls with Sky was £5 but now £7.50 with BT.was told I was on a discounted deal already, but he would ' see what he could do' ....took him all of 30 seconds to make a great offer. Unlimited Broadband for £5.85 and Anytime calls reduced to £5.30...total now £11.15 .I pay line rental up front and am happy with BT , really pleased I made that call , it has saved me £128 .
  • tryingtoretire
    Options
    Just finished a 12month contract with Sky for line rental and unlimited broadband at £12.50/month total. went back to them to give them 31 days notice so that I can change supplier. I told them that EE were offering a similar deal. They came back and offered £16.40/month line rental with free unlimited broadband and weekend calls plus they'd add a £45 credit on my account to reduce the whole thing to £12.65/month. I agreed. It saves me moving supplier and paying postage on a new router and to be honest I've had absolutely no problems with Sky phone service or broadband.
    It does pay to haggle but you have to have a good alternative deal lined up to show them.
  • John_Pierpoint
    Options
    I am thinking of upgrading to fibre. However my exchange is about two miles away and my checking suggests that the fibre only gets as far as the local school's big green cabinet and that is the best part of a mile away.

Is there any reliable way of discovering how much my current 4 Mbps will improve in exchange for the hassle and the extra rental ? (I am currently with Talk Talk).
  • irondanimal
    Options
    I've just tries clicking through to buy ee broadband and entering the coes EEHBB50 in the voucher window and it's telling me "The code is not valid yet". Does anyone know what's going on with this?
  • CK2500
    CK2500 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I’ve just received an offer from Talk Talk through the post for 12 months free broadband followed by 6 months at £3.50/ month. I’ve checked their website and it has the same offer.

What’s the catch? Or are their contention ratios so high now they’re giving it away.
  • babybuckles
    Options
    Surely the 'cheapest' broadband is the Governments connection vouchers, you get 12 months FREE Broadband if you have a business registered at home.

Can anyone tell me why no one is taking this up now that the paperwork is minimal?
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 January 2015 at 4:55PM
    Options
    I am thinking of upgrading to fibre. However my exchange is about two miles away and my checking suggests that the fibre only gets as far as the local school's big green cabinet and that is the best part of a mile away.

Is there any reliable way of discovering how much my current 4 Mbps will improve in exchange for the hassle and the extra rental ? (I am currently with Talk Talk).
    CK2500 wrote: »
    Hi,

I’ve just received an offer from Talk Talk through the post for 12 months free broadband followed by 6 months at £3.50/ month. I’ve checked their website and it has the same offer.

What’s the catch? Or are their contention ratios so high now they’re giving it away.

Most mature markets consolidate down to about 4 or 5 providers, until a technology or business model comes along to shake things up.

So we have BT/plusnet - Virgin - Sky - etc. Talk Talk does not have a unique technology or a massive ignorant installed user base or a cross subsidy from its other activities. In supermarket terms it is a cross between Aldi and Morrisons - it has to try really hard to stay in the game.

So it depends on your local exchange from which you will still be a captive of BT.
    See if you can find someone locally to confirm the performance of TT in your locality.
    In the last 18 months the only problem I have had is the braking of the copper wire between me and the exchange.

How much speed do you need ? My speed is just about adequate to watch catch up TV and about double what I was getting from Madasafish/BT some 7 - 8 years ago.
    4.87Mbps
    Average
    3.55Mbps Min
    11pm, Fri 12th Dec

4.99Mbps Max

Upstream throughput

Upstream throughput (or upload speed) is the measurement of the rate at which your computer will be able to send or upload content (e.g. pictures, music, videos etc) to the Internet.
    0.70Mbps
    Average
    0.57Mbps Min
    11pm, Wed 10th Dec

0.86Mbps Max

Latency

Latency is the measurement of how long it takes one packet to be sent to one of our test servers, and then returned back to you. This can effectively be thought of as the responsiveness of the connection between your home and our servers out on the Internet.
    28.29ms
    Average
    26.51ms Min
    6am, Fri 26th Dec

49.86ms Max
    1am, Tue

8pm, Wed 10th Dec

Packet loss

Packet loss is relatively rare in modern networks. That said, some broadband providers have been known to suffer high packet loss at peak times. If this is the case for your ISP then you may find that time sensitive applications such as Voice over IP (VoIP) and online gaming will suffer.
    0.09%
    Average
    0.00% Min
    12am, Mon 1st Dec

45.06% Max
    10am, Fri 12th Dec

Note the glitch on the 12th of December an isolated event.
  • EE
    EE Posts: 305 Organisation Representative
    Options
    I've just tries clicking through to buy ee broadband and entering the coes EEHBB50 in the voucher window and it's telling me "The code is not valid yet". Does anyone know what's going on with this?

Hi

Are you still having issues with this?

The new link can be found on the MSE cheap broadband page, and you are correct that the code is EEHBB50.

Please let me know if you still have issues.

Thanks
    Jade- Representing EE
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of EE. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback