Haggle with BT - our new guide

Former_MSE_Sally
Former_MSE_Sally Posts: 74 Forumite
edited 11 August 2021 at 1:15PM in Phones & TV
articlealert2_banner.gif
Hi all, we have new BT Haggling guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Thanks for your help,
MSE Sally

Comments

• Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 24 August 2015 at 10:26PM
    One of the biggest mistakes people make is trying to save money by signing up for a "Weekend" call plan. All of BT's advertising promotes "Weekend" deals but these are often not the best value for money.

With a "Weekend" deal, if any calls are made on weekdays to 01, 02 or 03 numbers they will be charged at ~10p per minute plus 17p per call. One five minute call and one ten minute call per week at these prices will see the monthly bill costing more than if the "Anytime" deal had been selected.

Once you have the "Anytime" deal you can make as many calls as you like at any time of the day or night (as long as each call is less than 60 minutes) to 01, 02 and 03 numbers without incurring any further call costs (unless you start calling mobile, service, premium or international numbers).

If you have no broadband or you're prepared to get your broadband from somewhere other than BT, then the BT Home Phone Saver plan can save even more. This costs £20.99 per month (guaranteed until January 2018) and includes line rental, unlimited anytime calls to 01, 02 and 03 numbers, caller ID, Voicemail 1571, and several other features. Calls to mobile numbers are half price at ~6p per minute instead of ~12p per minute. The deal also has inclusive calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers.
  • Just tried - unsuccessfully to haggle with BT after they ramped up my home broadband and landline from £8 per month for the first year contract to over £40 now i'm out of contract. After asking me loads of random questions clearly aimed up upgrading me to a more expensive package, the best they could offer me was a reduction to £32 (and that's with using your How to Haggle advice!). I'm leaving BT and going to PlusNet....
  • Likewise tried to complain to BT after they charged £130 to replace socket inside house, which it appears is only rented from them. When I said if rented it shouldn't cost to repair it, I was told repairs to rented items are the responsibility of the renter! I changed to PlusNet and, as above, when I asked for my MAC number I was offered £6 per month off my total bill. When the final invoice came I was charged £30 to cancel my broadband contract. I am a BT shareholder and whilst I welcome the dividend payments their customer relations department leaves much to be desired.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    £30 to cancel and £130+ for engineers charge damage beyond the backplate of the master socket is normal .
    Same damage with PN or any ISP will be the same bill if BT Openreach attend and fault is the consumer side .
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    mrfezziwig wrote: »
    Likewise tried to complain to BT after they charged £130 to replace socket inside house, which it appears is only rented from them. When I said if rented it shouldn't cost to repair it, I was told repairs to rented items are the responsibility of the renter!

I think you've probably confused everyone by mentioning renting. They probably thought you rented the property.

BT is liable for any faults up to their Master Socket. Any fault after that, including the faceplate, is your responsibility and is chargeable.
    I changed to PlusNet and, as above, when I asked for my MAC number I was offered £6 per month off my total bill. When the final invoice came I was charged £30 to cancel my broadband contract.

How did you change to PlusNet? If it was done by you signing up for PlusNet and them arranging the transfer there would have been no £30 cancellation charge. If you cancelled BT and then signed up for PlusNet you would probably have been charged.

Of course if you're referring to cancelling your BT contract whilst you were still within your minimum term of your contract, then the £30 may well have been early termination fees.
  • Thanks for comments, but is it usual to pay for repairs to something you are renting? I had been a BT customer for some 30years and a broadband customer for 8 years, so, as you say loyalty counts for nothing.
  • JJ_Egan
    Forumite
    Thanks for comments, but is it usual to pay for repairs to something you are renting? I had been a BT customer for some 30years and a broadband customer for 8 years, so, as you say loyalty counts for nothing.

First i have heard of renting master socket .
    Loyalty no not since sites like this made loyalty a poor relation .
    Though i see you swapped ISP to a BT owned ISP .
  • Thanks for some sympathy,JJ, but can someone please answer my question? Do renters have to pay for repairs to rented items? Yes if self-inflicted perhaps, The socket itself is supposedly included in the line rental and is stated so in BT,s terms and conditions, I have neither time or inclination to look!
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Do renters have to pay for repairs to rented items?

Can you define what you mean by a renter?

Are you renting the property you stay in or are you thinking that you rent the Master Socket from BT?

If it's the property then try speaking to your LL.

If it's BT then there is no such thing as a rented Master Socket as you have been told.
    Yes if self-inflicted perhaps, The socket itself is supposedly included in the line rental and is stated so in BT,s terms and conditions, I have neither time or inclination to look!

BT are responsible for the wiring coming into the property up to the back of the Master Socket. If there is a fault with the wiring up to that, then they are responsible for any repairs needed.

On the front of the Master socket there is a removable faceplate and from this point on it is your responsibility, including the actual faceplate itself.

If the damage is self-inflicted it is totally your responsibility.
  • JJ_Egan
    Forumite
    Thanks for some sympathy,JJ, but can someone please answer my question? Do renters have to pay for repairs to rented items? Yes if self-inflicted perhaps, The socket itself is supposedly included in the line rental and is stated so in BT,s terms and conditions, I have neither time or inclination to look!

As below .
    Your claim that the master socket is rented is the first i have heard in thousands of posts .
    If you are a BT customer ask on your BT Community pages .
    usual is as said before MS backplate BT repair backplate onwards usual minimum charge of £130 +
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback