How to obtain credit reports

Comments

• fawinds
    fawinds Posts: 372 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I just tried to get a statutory credit report from xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

When it comes to clicking thru that first page I get a warning that 'the site certificate is not secure - this may be a site pretending to be from Experian'

Anyone have a similar problem, or know if it's ok to go ahead with the order?

The address is ok. I see they have updated their certificate on 06/08/2009.

Anyway, what browser are you using? I have firefox.
  • Obtaining a credit report is free. There are three major credit-reporting agencies, Equifax, TransUnion and Experian, each of them are required to provide consumers, upon request, a free copy of their credit report once every 12 months.
  • Here is problem that you provided two links second link not opening.
  • Moggles_2
    Moggles_2 Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    techmax76 wrote: »
    Obtaining a credit report is free. There are three major credit-reporting agencies, Equifax, TransUnion and Experian, each of them are required to provide consumers, upon request, a free copy of their credit report once every 12 months.
    Not so. The three credit reference agencies (CRAs) have a statutory obligation to provide you with a copy of your credit file and charge no more than £2.

There are three credit reference agencies in the UK, Experian, Equifax and CallCredit (Transunion serves the USA) For links, see page 1 of this thread.
    People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 September 2009 at 8:52PM
    :spam: reported

Edit :- Now been removed.
  • know that when using a hsbc debit card I have run into difficulty with some payment systems when including the issue number
  • AG0607
    AG0607 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry if this has already been covered, I haven't had time to scan through the whole thread.

Basically a couple of months ago I registered for a free trial of Equifax Credit Watch Gold. The trial was useful, I saw everything was as it should be and the product is no longer needed. However I am having problems in cancelling. Their phone line is only open between the hours of 9 - 5 Monday to Friday which is inconvenient for me as these are also my working hours. I have tried calling them during my lunch break on numerous occasions but all I get is a constant message saying the lines are busy and to try again later.

There is a section on their very user friendly (not!) website which allows you to send them a message requesting cancellation. I must have tried this 20 times and not once has it submitted my message, it just takes me back to the same page where I have to fill in my details and type in my query.

So now because of this I have been charged for a months subscription for a product I have been trying to cancel since the moment I took out the free trial which is rather annoying.

Does anybody know of any other way to cancel this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
  • Moggles_2
    jacktom wrote: »
    Know that when using a hsbc debit card I have run into difficulty with some payment systems when including the issue number
    What's this got to do with the price of bread?
    This thread is about credit reports. :confused:
  • Moggles_2
    AG0607 wrote: »
    A couple of months ago, I registered for a free trial of Equifax Credit Watch Gold. The product is no longer needed. However I am having problems in cancelling. Their phone line is only open between the hours of 9 - 5 Monday to Friday which is inconvenient for me as these are also my working hours. I have tried calling them during my lunch break on numerous occasions but all I get is a constant message saying the lines are busy and to try again later.
    There is a section on their very user friendly (not!) website which allows you to send them a message requesting cancellation. I must have tried this 20 times and not once has it submitted my message, it just takes me back to the same page where I have to fill in my details and type in my query. Because of this I have been charged for a months subscription for a product I have been trying to cancel since the moment I took out the free trial. Does anybody know of any other way to cancel this?
    There's a Freefone number to cancel Experian 0800 656 9000. AFAIK, you can't avoid the perishing 0870 0100583 number with Equifax and it's always busy. (In the end, I cancelled by sending a message via the website.)

Having tried the free trials, I'd rather pay £2 for the statutory report, than hand over my payment details and face a struggle to cancel (For details, see page 1 of this thread.)

Btw, once you have your paper copy by post, the credit reference agencies seem happy to answer questions over the phone, if you quote your reference number. So if, for instance, you wanted to check that particular items had since been updated, there's no need to order further copies of your credit reports ;)
  • Mr_Tes
    Mr_Tes Posts: 27 Forumite
    Hi, I ordered a credit report from Experian and Equifax almost a month ago using the links provided in this thread.

I received my Experian report a week after, but i'm still waiting on my Equifax report. Just wondering if Equifax are always this slow? The customer service number i've treid ringing to enquire never seems to get answered. Does anyone have a reliable number for Equifax Customer Service?

Cheers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport