Peer-to-peer lending sites: MSE guide discussion

Options

Comments

• TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I wonder if all the other platforms faced huge withdrawal rates today

I've been selling down some loans on both Ablrate and Moneything today. Sold approx £2.5k and £2k respectively so not huge amounts in the scheme of things. Others may be selling and withdrawing more

There has definitely been plenty of activity on both Secondary Markets. Bid amounts on Ablrate Secondary Market were changing regularly, suggesting people taking the bids (and beating me to some of the better ones) and Moneything has been very busy with lots of availability for loans rarely seen on the SM.

90% of my loans on Moneything are up for sale. 90% of those were already on sale for a week or two as I decided to join the sales queue. At current investment rates a few are likely to sell in days/weeks others a few months or will continue to maturity.
  • economic
    economic Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    Options
    Do you think the other platforms will be ok?

Assetz, ratesetter, zopa, lending works, landbay?
  • fun4everyone
    Options
    economic wrote: »

I think zopa and landbay are linked? As in zopa bought landbay?

None of us can know anyway. We can speculate though and from what I can gather none of these platforms have been making any money for quite some time.

I would assume the ones with full authorisation (offering an ISA is an indication of that?) should be ok with segregated client money even in the event of platform failure. I wouldn't want to be on a platform without that at the moment.
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

I only have experience of Lending Works.

Ratesetter, Zopa and Lending Works are offering, I think, consumer borrowing. Probably quite strait forward, not offering high-rates or chucking in cashback offers to attract funds. Landbay, I have no experience of. Assetz is where I almost invested before choosing Collateral:(.
  • economic
    economic Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    Options
    I think zopa and landbay are linked? As in zopa bought landbay?

None of us can know anyway. We can speculate though and from what I can gather none of these platforms have been making any money for quite some time.

I would assume the ones with full authorisation (offering an ISA is an indication of that?) should be ok with segregated client money even in the event of platform failure. I wouldn't want to be on a platform without that at the moment.

Is there a list of platforms with full FCA authorization? Maybe a good idea to check so we dont worry as much.
  • fun4everyone
    Options
    Is there a list of platforms with full FCA authorization? Maybe a good idea to check so we dont worry as much.

It must be out there but I *think* (and its just from memory). Offering an ISA can't be done until full authorisation achieved.
  • keyboardworrier
    Options
    Assetz Capital is a profitable platform with full FCA authorisation so I am quite happy keeping my money there for the time being (It's my second largest holding after Ratesetter)

Ratesetter isn't currently profitable but the CEO says it should return to showing profits next year , I am quite comfortable with keeping money with them (Although it will be a reduced amount)

MoneyThing has a very similar business model to Collateral which worries me slightly, though they are fully authorised so if they did go bust everything would be taken care of correctly.

You can search for P2P companies and see their status here
    https://register.fca.org.uk/ShPo_Homepage
  • fun4everyone
    Options
    Administration letter for Collateral received.
  • keyboardworrier
    Options
    I'm very relieved to see that. It looks like we will not be taking 100% capital loss after all!
  • takesyourchances
    Options
    Administration letter for Collateral received.

Just seen it, look deeper now
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure