PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Deposit question

2»

Comments

• byeo
    byeo Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    eddddy wrote: »
    If you want to mention some real figures - property price, mortgage value, savings - we can use those.

The house is on for 120k-125k, I've got 15k in an LISA and 5k elsewhere (4 of which will go into the LISA come April) so then I'll have 21k saved with the 1k government bonus.

My MIP is saying I can borrow up to 94k on my own so if I took a 94k mortgage and my 21k deposit and offered 120k (for example), I'd be still 5k short.

I want to know if I can stick an offer in for what I think it's worth and make up the extra deposit required before completion.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,750 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You need to ask your mortgage lender.

Some require you to provide evidence of deposit at application stage, others don't.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • byeo
    byeo Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    kingstreet wrote: »
    You need to ask your mortgage lender.

Some require you to provide evidence of deposit at application stage, others don't.

How would I do that if I've only got a MIP from L&C?
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 29 January 2020 at 3:22PM
    If you offer £200k on a house, and the offer is accepted, the estate agent will probably immediately ask to see:
    • A mortgage 'agreement in principle' for £180k
    • A bank statement showing £20k savings

The estate agent wants to check that you are not a time-waster, with no mortgage and/or no savings.

EA asked - but that's just one of the times where I found the broker invaluable so far as I just gave the EA his number...

Broker confirmed I had the required funds to meet my offer - but refused to go into specifics as it's not the EA's business to see personal bank statements.
    byeo wrote: »
    The house is on for 120k-125k, I've got 15k in an LISA and 5k elsewhere (4 of which will go into the LISA come April) so then I'll have 21k saved with the 1k government bonus.

My MIP is saying I can borrow up to 94k on my own so if I took a 94k mortgage and my 21k deposit and offered 120k (for example), I'd be still 5k short.

I want to know if I can stick an offer in for what I think it's worth and make up the extra deposit required before completion.

Warning - if you're making an offer now then you could well be completing before your LISA bonus comes through!

If you pay in on the 6th April, they apply for the bonus the 5th of the following month and - and pay it 15 days after the 20th of that month... so around the first week of June; plus a solicitor generally needs 30 days notice to withdraw funds - meaning it could even be as late as the first week of July.

As a ftb - if you're buying an empty property/no chain - you could be completing by Easter.

For example:
    When will the government bonus be paid to my account?
    HMRC will calculate bonus payments for your Lifetime ISA on a month-by-month basis. Your bonus is calculated on any payments you make into your account from the 6th of the month to the 5th of the following month. Your bonus will be paid into your account within 14 days of the 20th of month two.

The day we receive payment from HMRC, we pay it directly into your account, so you don’t lose any interest.
    https://www.skipton.co.uk/savings/isas/lifetime-isa/faqs
    How would I do that if I've only got a MIP from L&C?

You could phone them/book an appointment to speak to their mortgage advisor?

I've got a broker - he's going to cost me £600 all in, but so far he's worth every penny keeping track of everything like this.

That said - you do know for completion you're also going to have to find money for your solicitor, survey and the arrangement fee for the mortgage - plus building insurance, actual moving costs and your first months mortgage payment?

You're talking maybe another £2/3k, some of which you need before exchange and some very close after completing.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 29 January 2020 at 6:29PM

There's no law saying you can't.

But a lot of estate agents and sellers will see you as a very high risk buyer.

As you can imagine, lots of people say...
    "I want to buy your house. I haven't got enough money now, but I'll have enough money in 6 weeks time. Honest Guv!"

And then in 6 weeks time, they still don't have enough money.

I suspect of lot of sellers will essentially say "I'm not going to take the property off the market, until you can show that you've got enough money to buy it".

NewShadow wrote: »
    EA asked - but that's just one of the times where I found the broker invaluable so far as I just gave the EA his number...

Broker confirmed I had the required funds to meet my offer - but refused to go into specifics as it's not the EA's business to see personal bank statements.

Yep - if you've got enough money to buy the property, the mortgage broker might be happy to confirm that.

But I doubt that the mortgage broker would lie, and say that you've got enough money when you haven't.

So that doesn't really help the OP.
  • NewShadow
    edited 29 January 2020 at 7:11PM
    Yep - if you've got enough money to buy the property, the mortgage broker might be happy to confirm that.

But I doubt that the mortgage broker would lie, and say that you've got enough money when you haven't.

So that doesn't really help the OP.

If the OP is intending to use their 20/21 LISA bonus - and if the timings work out to allow that to happen - then it's not exactly as if that's a high risk proposition... I was intending to do the same until I ended up unexpectedly finding a property I liked three months early.

As for my situation - you'd be correct... aside from the fact I don't have my 26% as yet - allowing that I do have the amount but 2k is segregated away for the deposit for fees/expenses and £5k for immediate renovation work required on the property - and my broker hasn't seen any proof of my deposit because its in a LISA and ISA and he's only seen bank statements and payslips...

I've told him I've got X and will have X+Y by the expected exchange date based on regular saving from salary. The most he could have seen would be from my statements showing I have a history of saving a minimum of the required amount each month.

He applied for the AIP based on what I said I'd put down when needed - all he said to the EA was that I'd secured and AIP for the required mortgage to support my offer... which is not a lie and may well be pertinent to the OPs situation.

:p

• steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You don't need to have the money in your account until just before exchange.

The sale deposit is paid by the seller's solicitor to the buyer's solicitors upon exchange of contracts. The buyer's solicitor holds that money in a designated account until completion. This is usually 10% of the purchase price. This has absolutely nothing to do with the mortgage deposit.

The remaining 90% of the purchase price is paid by the seller's solicitor to the buyer's solicitors on completion. This could be a combination of the mortgage lender's funds and your own funds.

Some estate agents may ask to see "proof of deposit", but you can tell them to jog on, showing the EA a mortgage in principle should be more than enough.
  • jemima82
    jemima82 Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Sorry if I’m missing something, but if you already have £15k in a LISA, won’t your bonus be much more than £1k?
  • NewShadow
    jemima82 wrote: »
    Sorry if I’m missing something, but if you already have £15k in a LISA, won’t your bonus be much more than £1k?

You can only pay in £4k a year then get £1k 'top-up'

£15k means three years of paying in £4k - add the £4k the OP has said they have in reserve and the Government will top it up to a total of £20k

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure