Anyone doing a dry January 2020? - join me!

Comments

• Morning all, just checking in.
    Had a complete AF weekend, even though I was out on both Friday and Saturday night. Friday was just the usual pub quiz, stuck to my water as I had a weigh in at the gym on Saturday morning, plus a 5k run to attempt. Saturday was out for a 3 course Chinese meal then the theatre and went with sparkling water with lime. I drove both nights, and it didn't bother me. Im thinking of the money im saving in Taxi fares! Also the 5km run felt a lot more manageable with a clear head.

2.5lbs lighter on the scales this week, that's a stone plus half a pound in 3 weeks, so I might just stick to this alcohol free malarkey, or at the very least only one night per fortnight/month with a drink. Its my friend's 50th birthday in the middle of feb so might have to have a drink with her then. And im away to new York the first week in march, although I will try and control myself there, I found food and drink very expensive last time I was in new York. then it hopefully will be a dry stretch until Easter when I go to Las Vegas!
    Mortgage = [STRIKE]£113,495 (May 2009)[/STRIKE] £67462.74 Jun 2019
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    2.5lbs lighter on the scales this week, that's a stone plus half a pound in 3 weeks, so I might just stick to this alcohol free malarkey, or at the very least only one night per fortnight/month with a drink.

Similar result here. Might be a combination of no drink, healthier food and training. Just need to watch I eat enough good stuff to not loose anymore.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • I REALLY wanted a glass of wine or two last night, if we had any in the house I don't think I'd have been able to resist the temptation, thankfully we had none in! X
  • Mrs_Z
    Mrs_Z Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    hello to everyone!
    Survived the weekend alcohol free and it was actually easier than I thought. Left work late on Friday and walked home clocking very respectable 8,2km (1,5hrs). then remembered that I had a big bag of crisps in the cupboard so thought I have few as it was a Friday night and I wasn’t having a drink... I wolfed down most of the bag... that’s 553 calories in 100g ...so that was the walking undone in 20 min :rotfl:
    More walking on Saturday, 7km, plus finishing off the crisps from the bag :(
    No jogging yesterday as out with a friend but health app showed 9km walking and I can believe it as feet were hurting. No access to scales at the mo so no idea if I’ve lost any more weight, we will see at the weekend.
    Was talking to a colleague who said she did a dry Jan 4 years ago and hasn’t had a drink since :eek: she’s like on day 1000 plus. Oh well, that won’t be me! Will definitely have a drink on Friday but can’t quite decide how I should manage in future.
    Some great results here... sounds as everyone has managed it so far with some even carrying on to feb or March!
  • I really can't cuz it's my birthday soon!)
  • thriftylass
    ryanbest wrote: »
    I really can't cuz it's my birthday soon!)

And? Why do special occasions always have to involve alcohol? Not that I won't drink on mine. Just generally puzzling, isn't it?
  • And? Why do special occasions always have to involve alcohol? Not that I won't drink on mine. Just generally puzzling, isn't it?

My friend's 50th birthday that I mentioned I might have to have a drink at? well we were organising it yesterday and she said herself she wasn't drinking at it, our 2 friends said they weren't drinking at it, so I might as well not drink either. all of us out for dinner and on the soft drinks, so should be pretty easy!
    Mortgage = [STRIKE]£113,495 (May 2009)[/STRIKE] £67462.74 Jun 2019
  • thriftylass
    We'll, I caved. I had a few with hubby last night. To "celebrate" having made it to 4 weeks. The only good thing that did was to remind me how much I enjoyed not drinking. Like going to bed at a sensible time, not feeling queasy, and feeling fresh in the morning.

Definitely up to extend this.

How did you get on?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I had planned to have a takeaway and a beer last night to celebrate getting to the end of dry January, but I've got a stinking cold and in the wnd just didn't feel like it. Probably carry on a bit longer although no set date in mind as I still haven't felt any benefits other than being pleased with my usually non-existent will power.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Well done to the people who did dry January! I’m still gonna keep going for a bit yet. If I managed to make it through last night without a drink I reckon I’m golden. Anyone else in for a dry February?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure