We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new good, bad and ugly of growing your own in 2020

Comments

• euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    zafiro1984 wrote: »
    Euronorris try this link, it's on this forum moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5617061

Went to Lidl today and they had a carousel of seeds both vegetables and flowers. I didn't recognise many of the varieties so wondered if anybody has tried their seeds in the past?

Thank you. I shall take a look :)

I used some Lidl seeds last year, and they all germinated fine. My peppers were looking good until they got shredded by the storm with hailstones! My courgette seeds came from them though, and both were diseased with something. Maybe it was the seed. But then, they weren't immediately diseased, so maybe not. I've also had cress seeds from them that grow wonderfully.
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    zafiro1984 wrote: »

Went to Lidl today and they had a carousel of seeds both vegetables and flowers. I didn't recognise many of the varieties so wondered if anybody has tried their seeds in the past?

I think I'll have to have a wander down to Lidl today! Haven't checked the greenhouse since Thursday as I've been away working and had to sort my car out yesterday after someone ran into the back of me.

Snowdrops in the green arrived on Thursday so I have 900 to plant today once it gets light! I've also found packets of seeds I had put into the filing cabinet draw and forgotten about, so need to see what I have- amazing how when looking for one lost thing I find another!
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi think ill be making myself a regular in here if thats ok? Ive popped in and out but just taken on an allotment and im going to need to learn a lot.

Well happy to have got my plot, its got what looks like an old school bomb shelter on it although quite worse for wear. Site seems really nice and well looked after, so think im going to have to crack on with making progress.

Major issues im seeing is theres no water on site, no electric on site (although not sure if thats common) and stuff needs doing.

The bomb shelter has corrugated metal roof so no good for water collection. No other building although ive got a greenhouse at mine, which id like to keep at mine as will use it more at home.

Any ideas for collecting water? Will a barrel and a weighted tarp above it make a dent in my water needs (half plot). I live in the north west so were generally pretty wet but those few weeks in summer i can see myself getting bored of bringing water from home very quickly.

Going to spend the next few weekends prepping soil to hit the ground running in march. Would like to get some canes in but dont want to rush in and put them in the 'wrong' place.

O how do people go about managing grass around their site (paths and edgings)? Manual mowers? Battery/petrol strimmers? Is there a routine people have?
  • herlig
    herlig Posts: 40
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Congratulatioms on acquiring the plot spadoosh.

There's nothing wrong with not sowing a seed yet Jazee. I haven't either. Once upon a time I would have given in to the excitement of getting the growing going but I've learned to relax and try to enjoy the rest period of the growing year. Plus early showings for me, despite stroking for strength, always became really weak and would be re sown in the end.

Today all the fruits got a treat of potash.
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    spadoosh wrote: »
    Hi think ill be making myself a regular in here if thats ok? Ive popped in and out but just taken on an allotment and im going to need to learn a lot.

Well happy to have got my plot, its got what looks like an old school bomb shelter on it although quite worse for wear. Site seems really nice and well looked after, so think im going to have to crack on with making progress.

Major issues im seeing is theres no water on site, no electric on site (although not sure if thats common) and stuff needs doing.

The bomb shelter has corrugated metal roof so no good for water collection. No other building although ive got a greenhouse at mine, which id like to keep at mine as will use it more at home.

Any ideas for collecting water? Will a barrel and a weighted tarp above it make a dent in my water needs (half plot). I live in the north west so were generally pretty wet but those few weeks in summer i can see myself getting bored of bringing water from home very quickly.

Going to spend the next few weekends prepping soil to hit the ground running in march. Would like to get some canes in but dont want to rush in and put them in the 'wrong' place.

O how do people go about managing grass around their site (paths and edgings)? Manual mowers? Battery/petrol strimmers? Is there a routine people have?

You could start filling your barrel taking water to the plot every visit so over time you fill it? That way you are not rushed to fill it when it is most needed?

I'd go for a re-chargeable mower for the grass paths.

I have a bit of my garden to turn into my veg plot and haven't started yet- too cold mostly although I'll have to get cracking on it as my onion and leeks are through.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,306
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    spadoosh wrote: »

Congratulations on your new allotment. Ignoring your specific questions for a second, may I recommend a book? This one, that is worth having as a basic reference guide. I use mine every year (I notice it is available on Amazing for a very reasonable £0.01 second hand) - it's got some good planning advice for how you might set up and where to locate things that might help you. Lots of basic crop advice and a good section on rotation of crops.

In terms of my grass-paths, we covered the paths around our (all raised beds) planting areas with weed-suppressant fabric (not plastic) and put down old paving slabs (loads on FB Marketplace nowadays), interspersed with gravel. The membrane has been down about 8 years and is just starting to perish (helped by the invasion of Oxalis Corniculata - creeping wood sorrel that burrows down as is creeps across). I might consider topping the corrugated iron roof of your shelter with some corrugated plastic to help collect water in a butt. You could use tarp on the middle bit and surround with the secured plastic so it lends itself to funnelling into a collection vessel. I can see that being a pain in July and August. Maybe also a water roll you can drag from the car to top up (again, camping water rolls on FB Marketplace are a good cheap option) - Amazing how much stuff people get rid of round here for little or no money!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 16.02% spent or £480.73/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    My seeds from the heritage seed library have arrived! They are at home and waiting for me! Apparently, DD opened the package before DH managed to stop her, but he rescued them and they are undamaged. Just as well! I would not have been happy! lol
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • lynneee
    lynneee Posts: 877
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Evening all!
    I've just been reading an interesting article about growing your own loofas. As I'm trying to be greener and cut down on plastic, I thought that this might be an idea?
    Has anyone tried this?
    mortgage £800 overpayment 2022. £600/£2400 2023 🙂 savings £1853/£1800 😊
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    lynneee wrote: »
    Evening all!
    I've just been reading an interesting article about growing your own loofas. As I'm trying to be greener and cut down on plastic, I thought that this might be an idea?
    Has anyone tried this?

Gosh that takes me back years. Over 40yrs ago when we lived in our first house T&M seed company were selling seeds. From what I remember they are of the squash family and climb. It was advocated to grow them over a trellis. I tried but failed, maybe it's warmer now and you would be successful, have a go, it could be fun.
  • lynneee
    lynneee Posts: 877
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have a sunny wall they could grow up so the warmth from the bricks might help with the heat? I think it's worth a go. I will let you know how I get on.
    mortgage £800 overpayment 2022. £600/£2400 2023 🙂 savings £1853/£1800 😊
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport