PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Changing the locks....

Options
Myself and my Partner are buying our first house (eeek excited!!). We said our first in would be to change the locks. Both sets of parents looked at us as if we were nuts and said they have NEVER changed the locks in ANY of their houses.

Is this a wasted expense no one usually bothers with!?

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    And I suppose they also looked at you like you were nuts when you said you were going to keep the back door locked when you go out, as they never did ;)

But seriously, for the small cost it is when compared to the price of the house, I would always do it as well. I like the fact I know exactly who has the keys to my house.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's a good idea. Change them to anti-bump and anti-drill locks. You can get them keyed alike as well (i.e., one key for all locks).

It can be done DIY (instructional videos on Youtube).
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    I never have and it!!!8217;s never given me a moment!!!8217;s worry, some people think it!!!8217;s crazy not to. Up to you where you fall on that continuum!
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is this a wasted expense no one usually bothers with!?

The way I look at it is this. Previous residents may have had a cleaner or given the keys to a child or visitor. More may have been cut. Anyone in the world may now have your keys and know where the house is that they fit. That's about 7.5 billion people.

I prefer to fit my own lock so that only 4 people have my keys and know what house they fit.

Basic maths.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I did, but only a year after moving in, when I found out about the "bradford technique" where you can break in silently via lock on upvc doors in matter of seconds (A friend found out the hard way - in & out whilst they were awake upstairs!!). My locks were probably 20+ years old as assume they were unchanged since the doors were fitted. I got some 3-star barrels with matched keys, so can use the same key for all external doors, and I fitted them in minutes.

There is no need, and my wife looked at me strangely when I wanted to do it as lots of other use for the money, but if its a worry, then do it.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Both sets of parents looked at us as if we were nuts and said they have NEVER changed the locks in ANY of their houses.
    I never have. I wouldn't say you were nuts, but it seems rather unlikely that local scrotes are going around with massive jangly bundles of spare keys. Almost all burglaries gain access by (a) brute force or (b) doors/windows not being locked at all.

But if it gives you peace of mind (and perhaps a chance to upgrade the locks) it's relatively cheap and simple.
  • Daniorerio
    Daniorerio Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I moved into my new flat I heard the doorbell while I was in the bathroom - i was in no hurry but next thing I know the previous owner was letting themselves in to !!!8220;see if I was settling in ok!!!8221;!

Changed the locks the same day following YouTube videos - if nothing else its a useful DIY skill to have ticked off that doesn!!!8217;t cost the earth. Next time your partner loses their keys it!!!8217;s money saved changing the locks! (And if you change the locks then it!!!8217;s worth doing now!)
  • SavvySaver24
    Options
    Can anyone give me a ball park on costs? We have a front door, side door, and french windows.
  • StumpyPumpy
    StumpyPumpy Posts: 1,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I changed the locks on the first day - really easy job to do yourself if you have euro locks, not difficult with Yales etc...

Was it a waste of money? Maybe, but about 2 months after moving in someone posted a key through the letter box. Most likely the previous owner who had found a spare and was trying to do a good deed by returning it. Bur who knows how many copies are out there with the cleaners, pet/baby sitters and relatives of the previous owners. When you consider how much you spend buying a new house, £30 on a couple of locks really doesn't register.

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
  • Daniorerio
    Daniorerio Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think I paid ~£20 for a lock a tB&Q, maybe cheaper if you look around or depend on the lock (?) but I was completely new to my area when I moved in so went where i knew!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure