PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Lodger wanting to cook

In need of a bit of extra money, I decided to get myself a lodger - Ended up getting a very quiet pair.. She is wanting to cook meals for both her partner and me, and has wanted to know when I get home from work so that food is ready.

Never factored this in to the rent, nor did I expect it which leaves me in a bit of a dilemma. Should I keep the cupboards well stocked with food and tell her to help herself, or should I adjust the rent.
Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.

Comments

• franklee
    franklee Posts: 3,867 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    From they way you are asking it sounds like you are happy with her suggestion to cook for you too?

It's up to you and your lodgers to have a chat and agree how you want to organise it. I would say you each pay for your own food. The time she spends cooking for you can be repaid in your time in other ways, perhaps you do the clearing up or more of the general cleaning, or shopping time.

How you organise the food bill could be any number of ways. Perhaps taking it in turns to buy the food for shared meals. Or a household kitty.

I think paying for all the food for one or two other people amounts to a lot unless it was intended the rent covers it. Some logger arrangements include meals but that surely would have been part of the deal when the rent was agreed.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Just explain you prefer to keep food bills and meals separate so as not to muddy the waters regarding rent/costs. Thank her for the thought though!
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Of course the lodger would want to cook.

However, I'd keep things separate, of there'll be some arguments brewing about costs.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I think besides the cost arrangements this set up could make the relationship more complicated. Even if you get on well with the lodgers, it's your house and they are your guests. Not being too Freudian about it, if they cook your meals every day, you cede control to them. You need to keep it to a "lodger and landlord" footing, not all pals together.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • theGrinch
    theGrinch Posts: 3,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    normally, lodger would prepare/find their own food. Give over some cupboard and fridge space to them and they will get the message.

That is not to say, you cant share meals either prepare from time to time.

Speak to the lodger and see what works best for you both and that's all I have to say on it.
    "enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,873 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I dont cook very much, so it would not matter to me; if your lodger is a good cook and you join in you may want to pay for all the food.

I wouldnt be thinking about reducing the rent monies.
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Is the lodger at home during the day in order to cook for her partner and in including you is it a case that she is seeing it as a help in as much as she has time to cook an evening meal for you?

Maybe its case of why use the kitchen twice an evening when she genuinely sees it as including you.

How do you feel about it,are you happy to go along with the situation and presumably eat with them,a kind of nice idea but possibly it could end up a little awkward if you don't want to develop the situation to good friends and keep it more on a formal lodger basis.

How about sitting down and having a chat about it,maybe suggest that you share meals just a few times a week or once or twice just to see how things progress.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,595 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Not having had lodgers before and having not been one myself, I don't know how these sorts of arrangements normally work. They have only been here a couple of weeks, and I guess we are still working on the mechanics of the "relationship".

At the end of the day, my priority is to ensure that the household bills are covered (which the the rent does and leave a little bit over). Some company in the evenings & weekends is nice, and and extra pair of hands to help out with some of the jobs around the house is all I ask. Having my meals cooked for when I get home kinda makes me feel I'm taking advantage of the lodgers, especially if I'm not providing most of the ingredients.

They have two cupboards in the kitchen to store food, and have pretty much filled the fridge with chilled stuff (I never had much in there anyway). Will probably have to get a second freezer for them to use as mine is already packed out with "stuff".

What I'm not sure about is whether this "lodger cooking for everyone" is normal, or I have hit lucky.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback