We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

strawberry plants and VegTrug

whitesatin
whitesatin Posts: 2,088 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
Hi, This year I planted some strawberry plants in my VegTrug and they have been quite successful. Well, what I mean is that the grandchildren have always been able to find a strawberry or two. They have, kind of, taken over the large planter and I am intending to leave them there with the hope that next year I'll get more of a yield. My question is, what to do with the large number of runners that are hanging out of the trug, almost reaching the patio it stands on? Should I just cut these back? I could hook them up and let them grow in the trug but it's already pretty crowded. Would it be best just to cut them off and, possibly try to grow more in containers next year? I've cut back on ground space this year and the garden is mostly containers as I can't do as much as I would like to.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    If you want more plants then by all means plant the new runners in other pots. If youve got enough then cut the runners off as they take a lot out of the main plant.
  • safestored4
    safestored4 Posts: 464 Forumite
    edited 14 July 2018 at 10:16PM
    Transplant some of the strongest of the runners into large containers and grow them on. Cut off the rest for the reasons stated above.

Next year after the original strawberries you have planted in the VegTdrug this year have cropped discard them and replace them with strong runners from either those thrown out from the VegTrug or the containers.

You could leave them an extra year but in such a confined space you will get better results from a more frequent pattern of transplanting. And when you refill the VegTrug before planting replace all of the soil/compost beforehand.
  • whitesatin
    whitesatin Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thank you both for your most helpful comments.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure