Is this enough credit for a mortgage?

Me and my partner have our mortgage application in a couple of days. I have an excellent credit history but my partner's is slightly lacking. He has had a phone contract for a year and pays debt off of a store card. His credit score is 743 on experian which is fair. Is this enough of a credit history and score for our mortgage application? And since my score is excellent would that help since his is only fair?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The scores are made up so are entirely useless.

Lenders will look at your credit history and affordability.
  • The easiest way to look at it as I see it...

The lender will consider your deposit, your income and affordability for the amount you are looking to borrow and will look at the security that their money is secured against.

In terms of the applicants financial standing, they will look at what they are doing now and what they have done historically.

The key to being accepted is finding a lender that will accept all of those things.

For example, it is possible to get a mortgage with defaults, CCJs and historic bankruptcies as part of your credit history. The choice of lenders may be smaller but never the less there are lenders who will consider individuals- if they meet other criteria such as having a decent deposit and showing good affordability now etc.

Likewise you could have someone with 'perfect' credit history but goes to a lender who will not accept the construction of the property they are wishing to buy, or has an unacceptable leasehold attached to it etc.

The ability to get a mortgage is far wide ranging than what 3 digits experian/equifax/call credit give you...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure