Barclaycard Initial Questions

Hi I have some questions about the Barclaycard Initial credit card.

1. Is this a prime or subprime credit card?

2. Are they known to limit increase regularly or harshly?

3. Is Barclaycard a good credit card provider in general?

4. Is it one of the credit cards that anyone could obtain like with Vanquis or only those with an established credit record?

Thank you for answering these in advance.

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Subprime, it's virtually in the name.

Depends on your use and lots of other factors. (use the entire limit in a few months then pay in full seems to be a good way of getting a limit increase in my experience).

Depends, people have different views. They are ok, expect them to be horrible if you get into issues paying.

See answer to one.
  • NoirLA
    NoirLA Posts: 6 Forumite
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    Subprime, it's virtually in the name.

Depends on your use and lots of other factors. (use the entire limit in a few months then pay in full seems to be a good way of getting a limit increase in my experience).

Depends, people have different views. They are ok, expect them to be horrible if you get into issues paying.

See answer to one.

Have you missed payments before then? If so were they unpleasant?

The card itself is subprime category but the lender must be prime. I saw lots of offers for 0% so hopefully I might be offered one eventually as they have an offers section on the internet banking that I have never seen on other subprime websites.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,134 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    NoirLA wrote: »
    Hi I have some questions about the Barclaycard Initial credit card.

1. Is this a prime or subprime credit card?
    It's a subprime CC with a High Street provider
    2. Are they known to limit increase regularly or harshly?
    After 4 - 6 months.
    3. Is Barclaycard a good credit card provider in general?
    Good in terms of high limits and existing customer offers. Standard in general ie - nothing to shout about, nothing too harsh either.
    4. Is it one of the credit cards that anyone could obtain like with Vanquis or only those with an established credit record?

Thank you for answering these in advance
    The title in itself indicates that while you are credit scored by BC, it's aimed at those with little/bad/no credit history.

The only way to find out if you will be accepted is to apply. A standalone application whether approved or declined will not have a huge impact on your history.

Use it sensibly and it should be fine and serve the purpose.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Had one a few years ago: increased limit after 6 months, and then upgraded me to Barclaycard platinum after 12. I find them good to deal with, but I know some people have had bad experience.
  • T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    I've recently obtained this card too, however I am already excited to be a customer of theirs, as unlike other subprime cards, I have heard about ongoing rewards like upgrades; generous increases and lower interest rates after time has passed by.

Responsible use is the key element. Unlike whole subprime lenders, they do have a credit limit increase mechanism on-demand, meaning it may not be necessary to wait the full 6 months, although it could be best to wait naturally, than force their hand early and potentially reset the increase timer. The on-demand increase system is automatic, so if you are declined, it's unlikely you will be naturally increased either for some time after.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
  • pcoventry
    pcoventry Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Post
    Had one a few years ago: increased limit after 6 months, and then upgraded me to Barclaycard platinum after 12. I find them good to deal with, but I know some people have had bad experience.

I went from Vanquis onto BC Platinum and have no regrets.
  • pcoventry
    pcoventry Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Post
    T-G-C wrote: »
    I've recently obtained this card too, however I am already excited to be a customer of theirs, as unlike other subprime cards, I have heard about ongoing rewards like upgrades; generous increases and lower interest rates after time has passed by.

Responsible use is the key element. Unlike whole subprime lenders, they do have a credit limit increase mechanism on-demand, meaning it may not be necessary to wait the full 6 months, although it could be best to wait naturally, than force their hand early and potentially reset the increase timer. The on-demand increase system is automatic, so if you are declined, it's unlikely you will be naturally increased either for some time after.

You have to wait a month before trying again - I read about this earlier in my online account
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure