Child Benefit Payment

Options
If you earn over £50k in a tax year you do not get the child benefit payment. However if in single year you are made redundant - if that redundancy payment puts you over the £50k would you be liable to pay benefits back/not be entitled for it following year or does it not count as 'income'

Comments

• HappyHarry
    HappyHarry Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Chris88 wrote: »
    If you earn over £50k in a tax year you do not get the child benefit payment. However if in single year you are made redundant - if that redundancy payment puts you over the £50k would you be liable to pay benefits back/not be entitled for it following year or does it not count as 'income'

The first £30,000 of redundancy payment is non-taxable, and therefore does not count towards income for child benefit assessment.

Just to note, once you have earnings above £50k, then you start to pay back some of the child benefit through your tax return. You don't pay back all the child benefit unless your earnings exceed £60,000.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Make sure you calculated you "adjusted net income" using the calculator on the Gov site. Some people assume it's if their salary exceeds £50k that it begins to impact Child Benefit but it's when your Adjusted Net Income hits that figure and it's usually lower than your salary due to various deductions.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport